Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPS much lower in games than it used to be

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TheSeventhArtist 
#1 ·
I posted this on a Counter Strike board but since it's happening in other games as well I figured it is most likely a general hardware issue.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
512MB RAM
Geforce 6600GT

I used to have a Geforce 4 MX440 until about a month ago, when I got a 6600GT. My FPS was awesome for about two weeks, pretty much 100 constant. I've been having mouse/keyboard lag in CS since I got the card and started fixing it by setting hl.exe priority to low (A known issue in Counter Strike and the most common workaround for it). A few nights ago I started noticing lower FPS, to the point where now I get 50 in a big area and I don't even get 100 when I'm staring at the floor. Changing the CPU priority back to normal hasn't fixed this.

Any ideas about how this could have come about or how to fix it?

#3 ·
Go to your monitor properties and change your monitor refresh rate to the maximum that it will support. In Counter-Strike do "fps_max 101" in console and in Launch apps do "-frequency xxx" - replace xxx by the refresh rate of your monitor, you must be exact. This may not fix your current problem, although even if not, you should notice a vast difference in the game-play, especially with the frequency command.

#5 ·
Have you defragged lately? Have you upgraded DX? There is a new update for DX 9c.

Are all of your drivers up to date? You are running a pretty weak rig by todays standards, maybe backing down on the drivers may be in order. The 6600GT was only marginally better than the 9800 pro. Older drivers may work.

With video card drivers always remember this, the further down the list of supported cards you are the less chance you have of them tearing up the house. I myself am becoming frustrated and I am 2 generations ahead of you.

The 2500+ isn't doing you any favors either. Outdated hardware means outdated hardware. Sorry.

#6 ·
I know my hardware is lacking but I'm only 17 so saving for a new PC is difficult at the moment. The thing is, everything was working perfectly on EXACTLY the same setup just two weeks ago. I haven't changed anything in my setup at all and suddenly I'm getting much lower FPS than I did with the same hardware and drivers as usual. That's why I'm confused about it.

Someone I asked seemed to suggest it could be an overheating problem. Would my processor running hotter than usual possibly cause lower FPS?

#7 ·
No, you are running an AXP chip. Heat is heat to these babies. Do not let it get over 85*c and all is lovely. ( I preferred mine in the mid 40's, didn't always happen my way).

Wanna check the overheat thing? Take the side off your case and blow a fan into it while running the machine. I would say though that unless you Video Card is overheating and throttling down heat has ZILCH to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.