1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fps/performance drop after installing Corsair H100i v2 water

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tiggereol, Feb 13, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. tiggereol

tiggereol Thread Starter

Hey,

So, I just installed a watercooler on my build just because I figured I could get rid of heatsink whine and some other noise. Since I have installed it, I notice I get FPS drop while running CSGO, my temps aren't any better, infact they are slightly higher, and im getting a lot of performance drop. I read in one place that motherboards might throttle if the motherboard is a cheap one.... Can anyone recommend anything?

Build:

• Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151
    • CPU: I7-6700k
    • GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gtx 1060 Gddr5 - 6Gd
    • RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400
    • Watercooler:Corsair H110i v2
    • Previous cooler:ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
    If you need more info let me know.

2 fans attached to the radiator.

The GPU never spiked over 65.Which is what is has always done at most. CSGO is a cpu intensive game moreso. I saw temps up to 78 on the cpu.

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The motherboard does not throttle however your cpu does. With a temp of 78C, it most certainly is throttling. I am no fan of water cooling; IMO it is a leak waiting to happen. If this were my system, I would install a coolermaster 212 type cooler.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83YW8246

This is a much better cooler than your previous arctic freezer. Note these are NOT the easiest things to install and you must pull the motherboard out of the case to install the back plate. If your case has a motherboard tray cutout, you can do the job with the board in the case however I almost always pull the board; just easier.
    Do test fit everything first prior to applying the thermal compound and doing the final install. Right now this VERY overclocked amd system is running @29C under a light load so yes, this cooler does a very good job.

Attached Files:

4. tiggereol

tiggereol Thread Starter

So an update: CRJ I am getting a non-watercooler. I am getting a noctua one. Ordered one before I saw your reply.

So a quick question. Is it possible for my CPU to cause a single ram slot to fail? I think my MB might be bad because my CPU temps have been higher than normal and one of my RAM slots no longer registers ram. I was curious if it's possibly the CPU that's screwing the pooch though.

On the CPU, it's not a single core that's higher, all 4 cores spike up in temp.

Also, I did read that the MB I have is absolute garbage... So I am leaning towards my MB just not being good over the cpu having problems.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

CPUs are actually pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock/overvolt them OR physically damage the cpu when installing. Generally they either work or they do not work.
    I would suspect the mb before the cpu. Asrock is not noted as a quality board maker such as asus or gigabyte.

6. tiggereol

tiggereol Thread Starter

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. I have had no problem with the cpu until very recently. I think Ill RMA the motherboard, try and sell the new one I get on ebay, and buy a nicer MB from asus or gigabyte.
    Thank you crjdriver :)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Just be sure when you purchase an asus or gigabyte board, it is one of the high end ones. Just like any other mfg, both of them make quality stuff and they also make low end stuff. For asus, go with a pro board or any other high end one. Stay away from any board with LE in the description. For gigabyte, go with one of the ultra durable boards; at least a UD3 and preferably a UD5 or higher.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. When I look at purchasing a board, I always check the support page to see how many bios updates have been released. Bios updates to support new cpus are fine however updates that attempt to fix problems are another matter. When you see updates released within a few weeks of the previous update, that generally points at a problem with the board that the mfg is trying to "Fix" with updates. Again updates to support new hardware are fine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185252