1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FPS problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by J_p, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J_p

J_p Thread Starter

Hey all,

I am having some FPS problems since I bought myself a new computer. I really don't know how to fix it so I am asking here. It's really weird because some games (even the new ones) run perfectly fine, but some show me very low FPS like 60 and lower. I'd like 100 for each game and I think that my computer can handle it, but I really don't know what to do.

My computer specs:
    DOEM Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
    CHIEFTEC, MESH CM-01B ATX 500W Seasonic
    ASUS MB Sc LGA1155 P8H67, Intel H67, 4xDDR3, SATA 3.0, USB 3.0 (rev 3.0)
    CPU INTEL Core i7-2600K 3,40 GHz 8MB L3 LGA1155 - BOX (overclocking)
    CHIEFTEC, Accessories-Fan, AF-0925S, 92x92x25 mm Sleeve Fan, with 3/4pin connector
    DIMM DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 KINGSTON ValueRAM DIMM DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 KINGSTON ValueRAM
    GIGABYTE VGA ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 (Overclock)
    WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA/600 64MB cache
    LG OS Blu-ray DVD±R/±RW/RAM DriveBH10LS30 Writer Bulk
    Monitor: Monitor: 23" LED EIZO EV2313WH-GY EcoView

Games I played and their FPS: (for orientation)
    Counter Strike: Source : Even 500 FPS!!!
    Day of Defeat: Source: 400 FPS!
    Worms Crazy Golf: 120 FPS stable fps
    Trackmania United (highest settings) : Between 100 - 120 FPS
    Fortix 2: 100 stable FPS

This is completely fine, even the new games give me pretty nice FPS, but look at these ones:
    Call of Duty: Black Ops Multiplayer: 90 fps (highest settings, if I enable "sync every frame" in options, it drops to 60 fps)
    Left 4 Dead 2: 60 fps
    Plants versus Zombies : 60 fps

And these ones are completely wrong:
    Droplitz: 60 fps (jumps to 20 fps when lots of drops start falling, game is unplayable then)
    Build-a-lot 2: 45 fps
    Memoir 44 Online: 30 fps

Every help will be appreciated, I am really lost in such technical problems, so the only thing I did was disabling VSync in my graphics card settings, since then nothing has changed.

2. J_p

J_p Thread Starter

Bump, I really would like to solve this.

I managed to raise my COD: Black Ops FPS to 120 using it's in game console, I am still having the problems with other mentioned games though.

3. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

A lot of these games are fairly old or graphically simplistic and are very likely to run as smooth as butter. So they're not really a good benchmark for your system.

These are some of the more graphically demanding games (excluding Plants vs. Zombies) but still, you're getting 60 fps which is perfectly acceptable or at least in my opinion. I don't understand the problem you're having with these rates actually?

Unless you're having hardware/software or latency related issues then I see no problem. :)

4. tom6049

tom6049

I don't understand the problem either.
    Anything around 60 FPS should be great for gaming.
    Uncommon games with uncommon game engines don't always
    provide the smoothest game play and that's just the way it is.
    If you find this unacceptable, then you should probably think
    about buying something like a GeForce GTX 590 video card.

5. J_p

J_p Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I chose the old games mainly because I really don't know why I am not able to handle them. I can take a look and post some values of the newer ones, but I had not bought many of them since I bought this computer.

I'd like at least 100 FPS, because I think that the game is much smoother above 100. I may have some weird frequency of eyes, because under 100 I see that every game has some notches. When I reach 100, everything is fine and I have no lags whatsoever.

I'll give an example with Black Ops, when I had 91 FPS, I sometimes had a 1 sec lag. Occasionally, when I wanted to knife someone, the cut's animation did not look the way it should. It even cut 1 sec later sometimes. And when there were many players (in an 18 players servers) shooting at the same time, the animation of my gun's firing was not smooth. And in a game where everything depends on your reflexes, such problems are very unpleasant. Since I have 120 FPS, I never had such problem again.

Bump again, I'll appreciate every reply.

6. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

To be honest I don't believe this problem is related to your FPS. If anything, it sounds like a latency issue.

Last I heard Black Ops was using the matchmaking system, even on the PC version? So it wouldn't surprise me if it was lag. I'm guessing you're recording your FPS, have you noticed any major jumps in frames during gameplay? E.g. does it dip really low when all the firing is going on?

Just as a point: The latest Call of Duty's (including Black Ops) have had horrible net coding.. MW3 gamers are suffering during matchmaking games.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice