Fragmented Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

donsor

I just defragmented my PC twice and noticed that after the procedure there were three large sections of fragmented files before and after I defragmented. Does this mean I have a corrupt disk? I am not experiencing any problems otherwise. Is it OK to leave the disk with large fragmented sections? My OS is WinXP Home Ed 32-Bit. I will soon have to upgrade to Win7 Home Ed 64 Bit.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
No it doesn't mean you have a problem. Defragmentation is a complex and very time and space consuming business. If a large file uses a few large segments and it would involve a LOT of moving files around to completely defragment them and the result wouldn't be much better than it is now, the program says that is good enough.

Usually you CAN force it to move things by supplying a parameter. See the manual/help for the program.

donsor

When I do a clean install replacing WinXP with Win7 64 Bit whereby all files and programs will essentially be deleted and the disk slate clean,that should take care of the defragmented files. BTW according to the Win7 Upgrade Advisor, my PC is compatible with Win7 Home Ed 64 bit.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Even a brand new install has a lot of fragmented files. Most operating systems create temporary files during the install process and deletes them and then reuses the space.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think the 2 -1000$ questions are

1. What defrag tool are you using
2. What was and is after defrag the percentage of fragmentation.

And
3. Are you by any chance running any so called system optimisation programs - usually known as make it go faster etc.

4. Please post the TSG specs by running this and copy and paste the results box
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

this will help in a number of ways but one of the causes of the problem IF there is ONE is -

Do you have enough free-space on the drive that you're defragging? You need 10~15% of the drive (free-space) available for Defrag to function properly.

5. As you say
Does this mean I have a corrupt disk?
It CAN indicate that, not usually so, but I would advise a full chkdsk by running
chkdsk /r
on a cmd prompt OR via My Computer and right click the drive and then Properties Tools etc, check BOTH boxes file errors and scan for and attempt recovery

I am sure you know how but as here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online