frame grabs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shelley

I'm wish to get full-size screen grabs from video files (mpg, avi, wmv...). If I pause the video, hit PrtScr and view the snap via CorelPaint, I only get a blank image. I searched for some freebie software and found MWSnap and Screenhunter. I tried both but in each case, although I could see screen captures while the software was fired up, they disappeared as soon as I closed them down. This was even after I'd dragged them into Paint and re-saved them. What am I doing wrong here, 'cos clearly there's no point in these programms if you can't keep the snaps you've taken?

Screen captures are a common element of most prosumer-pro NLE's. I dont know of any free product that will allow them although I am not familiar with all the products out there that cost little or nothing.

Import your movie into M$ Movie Maker and you will see that you can stop the movie and it provides a button to capture the screen you want.

MBN

shelley

MustBNuts, I looked at that but couldn't find any frame capture button as you suggest. Is there a key stroke for capturing frames?

I dont use it but I wasn't aware that Moviemaker allowed you to capture frames--can't find anything on it in the help menu???

I'm attaching a jpg of the screen (Movie Maker 2) and marked where the capture button is.

Hope this helps,

MBN

Attachments

shelley

Confused. This is the 'Split Clip' button. It cuts the video clip from that point on, unless I'm using it wrongly.

shelley

My controls seems a little different to yours anyway. Hope the attachment works because I can't see it in Preview!

Attachments

This is why I mentioned that I am looking at Movie Maker 2.

You may want to go to the Windows Update site and look for the appropriate update software.

Here are the controls on my version:

Attachments

PS: here is a copy of the version info - please note the fourth line that shows Movie Maker version 2, etc., etc., etc......

Attachments

There you go--I dont use moviemaker and never updated to version 2 thus no frame capture button--thanks---

shelly do try this one.
right click on desktop >property>settings>advanced>troubleshoot ......turn of the hardware acceleration and then try to capture

shelley

Thanks for your help so far.

MustBeNuts ~ ok, I downloaded wmm2 and I now see the button. Fine so far, but this doesn't help me take 1024x768 screen shots. The captures are still only the size of the original video.

Somak-de ~ I tried but this doesn't allow full screen viewing in any video playback program I have. You need the acceleration for full screen viewing.

I'm still stumped as to why I initially could take frame grabs using Print Screen but now I can't. I don't recall changing anything. Can anyone answer this?

shelly in my computer it plays in full screen while turning off haradware acceleration

shelley

somak_de said:
shelly in my computer it plays in full screen while turning off haradware acceleration
All I can say is, it doesn't here. It enlarges the window but the video image remains the same size. In WWM it actually warns it can't run in full screen without acceleration. You clearly have a different setup. Where would the differences be?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online