1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frame Rate Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by etheth, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Ever since I installed the driver for my Linksys WUSB300N 802.11N wireless desktop adapter my computer does this weird thing. I don't know if it is related or not but the frame rate and audio will slow down and pop for a few seconds every few minutes. This happens even when I am just at the desktop or when I am doing something interactive. It doesn't matter, the whole computer slows down. Any possible solutions? I am willing to download something to track my processes' memory usage and things like that. Thanks in advance

Ethan

2. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Someone please help.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Tell us MORE about your complete system!

4. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

5. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

The problem has been occuring more and more. I'm sure it would be easy to fix. I just have no idea what tools to use to monitor my processes.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If this happens running applications off the hard drive -- then your wireless connection would not be involved. It it is, check the signal strength, change the channel and look for devices that might interfere (microwave and 2.4ghz devices such as cell phones and joysticks)

The symptom you are reporting generally, is often associated with a hard drive whose performance has degraded.

You can try the script file available below, just right click on it and save it to the desktop. Run it from there and give it permission.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

7. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

This happens when I am doing anything. It could be on the desktop with explorer or watching a video. Let me try seeing if it happens with my wireless adapter in or out. As for the visual basic script you sent me, it comes up with an error:

Script: C:\Users\Ethan\Desktop\resetdma.vbs
    Line: 25
    Char: 1
    Error: Could not create object named ""WScript.Shell".
    Code: 8007007E
    Source: WScript.CreateObject

8. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Try this,
    Start->Search->services
    Then click on the services under programs
    Scroll down till you see WLAN AutoConfig
    And disable it
    But, all you have to do is set the SSID of the network manually. You can do this through the device properties control panel, instead of the windows one.

This should fix and internet problems with wireless

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know why you are getting that script error unless there is a script blocking program in place -- but try having a gander at the Device Manager for the issue manually:

> If you open the Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is Ultra DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO or even just DMA (rather than “ULTRA” DMA, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

*note that the above will not apply to RAID drive configurations.

10. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

There was no Primary IDE...I tried all 3 things there but none had what you said they would at the advanced settings tab. All I had was:
    ATA Channel 0
    ATA Channel 1
    Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller (which had no advanced settings)

The ATA 0 and 1 both had an advanced tab with a table that said "Transfer Mode" but the actual data was just blank.

11. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

I disabled that service but then couldn't connect to my network and I didn't find what you meant by manually setting the SSID... but I had to re enable it to get my internet to work. This is odd because it only seems to happen with my wireless usb adapter plugged in. I will test it a bit more just to be sure.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry, on Vista it is not identified as Primary and Secondary, but should look something like my attachment.

Unless your computer is set up in a RAID array or uses an SCSCI controller, there should be something there. What you describe sounds like a Sata configuration which does not have the drivers installed -- I just duplicated it on my Vista system by removing the drivers and rebooting. Only after a minute or two at the desktop did Windows inform me it was installing new hardware drivers -- and only after I rebooted a second time did the settings return to "normal" as you see in my attachment.

If you uninstall the drivers through the driver tab, and reboot -- then wait awhile at the desktop -- do you get a hardware device driver reinstall procedure?

Attached Files:

13. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

I did what you said and rebooted. Indeed windows automatically installed all 3 of my drivers, but everything looks the same. I am going to post a screenshot soon but since I was playing around with open DNS and blocked my website's domain I can't ftp upload it right now. I will do that as soon as it gets unblocked.

EDIT: Here we go

http://www.ethland.com/special/DM.jpg

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have a feeling you are missing the proper chipset drivers for those controllers and Windows is just installing defaults.

Can you pull up the "service tag" for that Dell, so we can get to the right support page?

By the way, you might want to opt to give Dell support a buzz on this as they should be more confident of pointing you to the right download -- but I can take a shot at it if you want :)

Right now I am here looking at the "Serial ATA" drivers -- but I don't have a clue as to why there are 3 (or actually more) of them or what exactly each does >>

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?cat=sup&subcat=dyd&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&k=DXG061

15. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

28X3QB1 is my service tag.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice