1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Frankenstein" PC won't work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bradstard, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Hello, let me first say that I think I am not as good with computers as I think I am. This fact was confirmed by my actions last night. I had two old semi functional pcs which I wished to mash together into one that worked. One of them worked well, but it's power supply fan and quit and it made an awful noise when it ran (which i thought was the power supply fan). The other one just sucked. I was going to switch the power supplies, but I found that I couldn't connect the power supply in the other case because they both connected to the front of the case (the power switch, LED light, etc..) differently. Instead, I took all the guts out of one and put it into the other one. I though I plugged everything back in right, but when I turn it on, the monitor says it is receiving no signal. The lights on the front and the network card light up, and the cpu fan spins. The CD-rom drives won't eject, and it doesn't sound like the harddrive is working. I know all of this worked before the switch, and the only thing that changed is the power supply (which is the same wattage) and the case. There are no beeps when the system starts. Does anybody have any idea of what I could do to get a hint of what is wrong? I know it's a vague question, so don't feel bad if you need to tell me I'm stupid and shouldn't have touched anything. The computer is a piece of crap anyway, so even if it's all dead, it's no big deal. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the long read!

-Brad

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

:confused: Was there any smoke or flames coming out of it when you turned the power on.

3. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

No, I had the case open and I saw that nothing bad happened. No popping, no exploding....but is it safe to assume from that response that it may be un-fixable?

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

Bradstard

I was just being a bit of a smart ar..., no offence meant.
    But I think it might be a tricky one to answer.

gerry

5. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Hoo! Update! I tried switching few wires and now I can hear the hdd spin up and the moniter light turns green (meaning it is getting a signal), and everything seems fine for about 5 seconds. Then, the fan on the CPU shuts off and the screen stays black. Still no beeps.

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

Still no Smoke?
    Thats a good sign.

7. Shuzzy

Shuzzy

might be damaged motherboard, i had same thing happen to me

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Bradstard...

If this were my pc I would remove the motherboard from the case, place it on a peice of cardboard, and then assemble the motherboard outside of the case, it sounds like it is shorted to the case and drawing down the power supply...

9. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Good idea Jedi, I thought that might have worked, but it didn't. I notice that the cpu fan starts spinning again while I hold the reset button down, and shuts off when I let go. Could I still have my wires crossed?

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hmmm...interesting...

Yes...it's a possibility, are any of the wires marked ( ie: color coded wires, markings on the connectors )?

Also are the connections marked on the motherboard ?

11. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

AHAHA!!! Man do I feel stupid, sure enough it was labled right on the MB. I had the "power LED" running to the "power" slot. I took that thing apart 3 times and I never even thought to check if it was labeled. Now it will load (gives me a harddrive failure warning, but I think I can take it from here). Thanks Jedi master! Man, I seriously think most computer technicians would be out of buisiness if everybody knew about this site. That took only about 30 minutes of work and it was free! You guys are the best! thanks again!!!

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

That's great... :D :D (y)

He...he..he.been there...done that...only it was the hard drive LED, in my case...

If you have any problems with this post back, probably something isn't set right in the BIOS...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice