1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freaky audio - some instruments, no vocals

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Monkey Boy, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Thread Starter

My ASUS laptop has just started outputting the freakiest audio. When I play an MP3 song or a YouTube video, it selectively removes certain instruments. In the case of one pop song, I hear only the piano--in reasonably good fidelity--but only faint or no guitars or vocals. Other songs remove different instruments. In the case of several people talking, most people are faint but some boom right through. Once after rebooting everything came back to normal, but now rebooting doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I've heard of those devices you can buy that remove vocals from karaoke songs by fine-tuning EQ. It's almost like that's happening to me. And/or my laptop is magically separating songs into individual tracks and muting some.

Any ideas how to fix that? According to DxDiag64, there is no reported hardware problem and all drivers are up to date.

ASUS G51JX-X2. June 2010. Integrated sound. 64-bit Win7.

Thanks!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    After you looked through the audio setup options? Many audio software tools have mix options such as "karaoke" mode and such.

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Thread Starter

After the ASUS drivers didn't help, I went to Realtek's site and downloaded their most recent driver--not necessarily for my chipset, which is 18 months old. But it solved the problem. I still don't know if the updated driver did it, or the updated control software, or just some other action (or time) in the process. Fortunately, I don't care because for now it's working.

Thanks for the suggestion, Oddba11. Have a great thanksgiving.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. You too...glad you have it sorted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice