Freaky audio - some instruments, no vocals

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Monkey Boy

My ASUS laptop has just started outputting the freakiest audio. When I play an MP3 song or a YouTube video, it selectively removes certain instruments. In the case of one pop song, I hear only the piano--in reasonably good fidelity--but only faint or no guitars or vocals. Other songs remove different instruments. In the case of several people talking, most people are faint but some boom right through. Once after rebooting everything came back to normal, but now rebooting doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I've heard of those devices you can buy that remove vocals from karaoke songs by fine-tuning EQ. It's almost like that's happening to me. And/or my laptop is magically separating songs into individual tracks and muting some.

Any ideas how to fix that? According to DxDiag64, there is no reported hardware problem and all drivers are up to date.

ASUS G51JX-X2. June 2010. Integrated sound. 64-bit Win7.

Thanks!

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
After you looked through the audio setup options? Many audio software tools have mix options such as "karaoke" mode and such.

Monkey Boy

After the ASUS drivers didn't help, I went to Realtek's site and downloaded their most recent driver--not necessarily for my chipset, which is 18 months old. But it solved the problem. I still don't know if the updated driver did it, or the updated control software, or just some other action (or time) in the process. Fortunately, I don't care because for now it's working.

Thanks for the suggestion, Oddba11. Have a great thanksgiving.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts