1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free antivirus debate

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kdm31091, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Thread Starter

I know it's been discussed a million times and I hate to be annoying, but I just wanted to know which free antivirus everyone thinks is the best. At the moment I use AVG, because I've read that Avast is going downhill or something (it's not MY opinion, it's what I've read) and Antivir has too many false positives. Backed by Ewido, A Squared and Spyware Doctor, should AVG suffice or is one of the other two better?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

to me they are all a pile of junk. Now this is just my opinion. Your best bet is paying 29.95 MIN or 70.00 MAX for something like Norton or McAfee. However, McAfee is better and only costs 30.00 MIN from a cheap computer store. It does the job. I used to have AVG and i was a load of trash, i got virus after virus. After formatting and installing McAfee i havent had a virus since.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I disagree with Blink :rolleyes: . They are not all junk. Many people here use them and don't have any problems. Norton, on the other hand, is known to cause various problems because the suite contains so many features and uses too many resources.

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

id have to agree with you on norton there DoubleHelix. But i do think that AVG is junk.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Please tell us why AVG is "junk" in your opinion.
    {redoak}

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

does not stop incoming viruses. To me there is no point having a antivirus if all it does is scan at a certain time and THEN detect the virus, after it does damage. And sure, go ahead and ask: "Well dont they all do that?" or "Which one does stop them?"

Answer:

McAfee.

I hope i have given a god enuf explanation.

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

AVG is a real-time scanner the same as McAfee is.

8. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

yes but the real time scanner didnt fuction as well as i though it would. McAfee does though.

9. redoak

"B": Thanks for the reply to my ?. I guess all this is a matter of opinion, unless there is definitive experimentation and resulting data. I have never (fingers crossed) had a virus intrude on my computer, and I have used "AVG" exclusively for several years. My ZoneAlarm firewall has worked equally well.
    {redoak}

10. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

If you say so. What AVG? AVG Free or AVG Full Edition?

11. golferbob

golferbob

i have used mcafee,panda ,norton and now avg free for about 3 years. i have not had a problem with it. i run panda free on line scan once a week just as a double check.

12. redoak

"B": I run the paid for version of "AVG."
    {redoak}

13. redoak

"g": Since you have wide experience with the Panda on-line scan, can you briefly explain how activate it? I have gone to the site several times without being able to navigate all the "buttons" (junk) to find the precise place to click to enable the scan. That green horizontal moving bar with "scan" seems to mean nothing. Or does it? [I have the same problem with Kaspersky. The folks who develop the site page need to consult with someone like me to be sure their "instructions" are clear to a neophyte.]
    {redoak}

14. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Lol redoak. Click that button with the moving green thing. Yes its a pile of junk but it works. :)

15. kdm31091

kdm31091 Thread Starter

I was able to download Mcafee free from Comcast since my family is a subscriber; it seems to me that Mcafee provides good protection based on what you've all said, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice