1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free at last! Free at last!! (With apologies to M.L.K.)

Discussion in 'Personal News & Announcements' started by pyritechips, Apr 21, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Jim Thread Starter

To let everybody here, and the rest of the world know, I have deleted my Facebook account. I actually feel a sense of freedom.

If anybody has anything to say to me they can say it here, to my face or by e-mail...

...and I don't give a flying fig how many people "like this"!!! :p

2. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Just to confirm, you did actually delete as opposed to deactivate the account, didn't you?

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Jim Thread Starter

Yes, "delete" it was! ;):cool:

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I have a fb account but never use it
    deleted thanks for the heads up Jim

5. HOBOcs

HOBOcs

Congrats!!

6. buffoon

buffoon

I actually KILLED mine a long time ago. There was killer program on the net called Seppukoo (a phonetic variation of seppuku, the Japanese ritual suicide) that completely wiped anyone using it off any social network. That means no trace left whatsoever, something that even deleting FB does not achieve completely. I believe its efficiency because FB blocked it completely shortly afterwards.

Got there just in time.:p

7. mangoh

mangoh

I don't get it, how did you get your account deleted?

I thought you could only deactivate it?

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

click the delete link in post 2

9. mangoh

mangoh

whoops missed that link lol

cool never knew that. Always thought you was tied in with them :rolleyes:. Doubt many people know tbh.

10. buffoon

buffoon

Go to this facebook page:

https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

It'll interject you login window first but, once done, you should get there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    follow the steps of password email etc. and enter of captcha code and click ok.

Then do not enter (login) to your FB account for at least 14 days (because that will reactivate it). Try after 21 days and you should come up complete blank.

11. Ent

Not many people know that. It's one of the biggest privacy gripes people have about them (other than all the other ones).

I haven't tested this (I want to keep my account) but apparently there is a faster way of doing it too. Reset your birthday to anything that makes you seem like an 8 year old, and they'll wipe you off the site within 48 hours.
    If anyone tries this I'd be very interested to know the result.

12. Ent

You have to be a bit more careful than that. Any site activity, including "like" buttons or "log in with facebook" options on external websites will automatically stop the deletion.

And that reminds me, I should really add some screenshots to the library guide on the topic.

13. buffoon

buffoon

Indeed. Thanks for adding that.

good idea(y)

Incidentally, checking that link brought my track blocker telling me that FB would track me thru an abundance of sites (if they weren't blocked). For those that don't know this, if one really gets to hate FB (or anyone else), getting a tracking blocker could be a good idea. I had mine installed barely 15 minutes and already had nearly 200 attempts (foiled) at the time. Not simply facebook, everybody.

14. poochee

poochee

:D

15. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

I enjoy my FB account!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050260