1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free backup program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wa0goz, Oct 21, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8108 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (765 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 088DT1
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I need a backup program.

I tried using Microsofts SyncToy to a 500 gigabyte external hard drive and it's a terrible program. When I run it, it erases many of my desktop icons. I'll not run it again.

Does anyone know of a good free backup program for Win7?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    All my data is in a separate internal HDD in my W7-64
    I use Free File Sync to keep my External HDD "a Twin Backup"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I use AOMEI Backupper

4. xavierjose

xavierjose

Thanks for sharing. You can also try Apowersoft backup software which has free trial and can do reliable backup. There is also screen recorder as well as backup program from apowersoft.

[​IMG]

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Whatever backup program you use, NO backup is worth anything until you validate your ability to restore the backup. After a drive failure or whatever is NOT the time to find out if your backup can be restored or not.
    I use and recommend acronis true image [free if you have a WD drive]
    If you want a completely free backup program, clonezilla is free and works very well however it is not easy to use AND you have to be comfortable working in linux/CLI.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Currently 4 Windows 7 computers in the house. I have 7 external portable USB hard drives ranging in size from 500 GB to 2 TB. I image all four computers every 4 - 6 weeks using Acronis True Image. I installed it, made a recovery CD, then uninstalled the program.
    I boot from the recovery CD with one of the external hard drives connected and make or restore my images without loading Windows. It is less complicated that way because if Windows can't boot, then you can't run the program.

7. britekguy

britekguy

EaseUS To Do Backup is also an excellent option for home users who want a free full system image backup tool with a simple to understand user interface.

If you happen to be a Windows 10 user, I can also really recommend the built-in File History feature for user data backups, though one should definitely change the retention period to something far short of the default "forever" for all versioned backups. I've got mine at 3 months, as I have never needed a version of a file that's under active updating that was older than three months.

These days one should not ever keep one's backup drive connected except when taking a backup or restoring from one. The age of ransomware is upon us and were you to somehow be struck and your backup drive is connected at the time it will be encrypted, too, which is the last thing you need.

8. Abrienne123

Abrienne123

Other then CD or Hard drive you could go with Cloud backup. It free as well

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I've used 2brightsparks Syncback Free for over a decade with no issues.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html

I don't like the concept of backing up personal data to the 'Cloud'.
    Accessibility isn't 100% guaranteed and given attacks on those servers, security isn't 100% guaranteed.
    Storage and safety is under 'someone' else's control. And you are dependent upon them.
    Use the search terms " accessibility issues with cloud services "" and "attacks on cloud services " and see the potential problems you'll face.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not a fan of cloud backups either. The ONLY backup I trust is the one I control. I may be paranoid however I make multiple backups; one on a second internal hd, one on a NAS, and a third on an external drive that sits in my gun safe when not actually being used to make a backup. It only takes once losing important files to make you paranoid about backups.

11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I also do multiple backups.

One isn't enough.
    And I schedule several of them in rotation so if a drastic hardware or software problem were to happen during a backup, I still have a very recent backup to rely on.

12. britekguy

britekguy

I, too, take multiple backups. I have two external backup drives, and take full system image backups on each, one for the odd months and the other for the even. I will also keep the prior cycle's backup if space allows at times, but generally delete all older backups once the latest one is complete for that month.

The probability of having hardware failure on two external backup drives, placed into service at different times, simultaneously is infinitesimally small.

I don't do cloud backup, but not secondary to any concerns about security or access. Even if I were not to have access the very moment I wanted it due to internet connectivity issues, I'd still know the backup is there.

What it comes down to is that the bare minimum is having two copies of anything - the original and one backup - and ideally you have three - the original and two backups.

All it takes to realize the wisdom of this is having suffered through a single incident of significant data loss because no backup at all existed or having had to spend an inordinate amount of money for professional recovery services after a HDD failure. I'm quite sure the same sort of thing can and will occur with SSDs, too. Nothing is completely immune from unexpected failure.

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Agreed, it is. But it only takes one experience ( near in this case ) to consider rotation. And it doesn't take any additional effort.

I had the control board of a primary hard drive violently short out leaving a scorched and damaged HD circuit board. Melted circuits.
    This happened some 15 years ago and I posted an image of the damage at TSG when under a different screen name.
    The computer had a mother board failure shortly afterwards, probably from a voltage spike. The drive circuit board actually threw a shower of sparks inside the case that I observed while using that computer.
    Much like this image but more penetration:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/305275/can-a-short-circuit-damage-a-hard-drive/
    see below.
    IMO, there probably would have been corruption if I had been doing a backup at the time.

This is also a reason why I don't leave a computer on while I sleep at night.
    My experiences.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice