1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

free cell game haywire after Norton fix

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by marianne, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

My husband was running Norton Utilities Intregator which got stuck in the repair and fix (kept repeating and never got beyound a certain list) so he stopped it. Later when I tried to play free cell it didn't work right and now freezes. It was working excellently before he did what he was doing. Any suggestions. Other programs seem to be working okay. We have Win 98

Marianne

2. deanas

deanas

You could always try to delete & then reinstall.
    Freecell is a part of windows installation.
    start > settings > control panel > add/remove >
    windows setup.
    scroll to accessories and uncheck games.
    reboot.
    Do the same to install except check games.
    It really could make a difference what your
    husband was doing that he didn't finish.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know what happened to suddenly cause the problem to start happening. But Symantec has documented conflicts between FreeCell and Cleansweep. If you have that (csinject), you should try end-tasking it before running FreeCell. Or just disable it and enable for installs only.

4. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Neither helped. I am wondering if it's efax which my husband downloaded yesterday.

Also, he tried to defrag and it froze up after about 68% thru.

Well, guess we need to do some detect work.

Marianne

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try running defrag in safe mode. Do a disk cleanup first to flush temporary internet, recycle bin and windows temp files.

Try running FreeCell after end tasking everything in the close programs window except Explorer and Systray. You could probably test FreeCell in safe mode as well to see if it is a conflict issue or a file corruption one.

If you're a FreeCell junkie like I am, you might want to try FreeCell Pro. It takes a little tweaking to configure, but I like it better than the Windows version.

http://home.earthlink.net/~fomalhaut/fcpro.html

6. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I learned that dynamic link cmd - DLLcmd32
    was causing a conflict with free cell and as long as it's turned off
    free cell works fine. Is DLLcmd 32 something I can disable for good without problems and if so, how.

Marianne

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well it is in fact a part of your Efax installation. You can temporarily disable it for FreeCell play, it won't affect Windows any.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice