1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free DirectCD 5

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by slipe, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slipe

slipe Thread Starter

It appears Roxio screwed up and have the full DirectCD 5 as a free download rather than an update as it is suppose to be. It is the full DirectCD 5 and requires no code to install: hxxp://cequadrat.com/driver/dcd_upd/DCD51UP.exe It likely won’t parse as a link but just copy/paste it to the address bar if it doesn’t.

Sony did the same thing last year with their CD Extreme software and left it up for a couple of months. Don’t know how long this one will last, so if you need new packet writing software grab it. I just downloaded it and it works fine.

2. Rockn

Rockn

You sure it's the full version with a file name like DCD51UP.exe? Sounds like an upgrade to me...and why would you want the DirectCD software without the full package?

3. slipe

slipe Thread Starter

The download worked for me earlier and installed as DirectCD.

It is packet writing software that is independent of the mastering software. DirectCD is different from the other packet writing software in that it does variable length packet writing to CDR, which is more secure than standard packet writing to RW. So there are people who use different mastering software like Nero but still use DirectCD for packet writing.

I don’t have any use for packet writing at all – just downloaded and installed it to make sure it worked before I posted the link. I expect them to correct it soon.

4. rdkapp

rdkapp

Slipe,

In a prior post on another thread concerning problems I was having with Easy CD Creator 4.02e, you advised me to upgrade my Direct CD to version 3.05. Here's a link to that thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=63473

Questions: Do you recommend that I download and install DirectCD 5 from this site? Would it be an improvement over 3.05? And, if you know, what are the benefits of doing so?

Thanks for your reply,
    rdkapp

5. slipe

slipe Thread Starter

I wouldn’t mess with it if it is working. Someone on another board said that Roxio evidently caught the error and it is just an update now.

The only benefits I know of for DirectCD 5 is that it gets along with Nero better and their FAQ suggests you can do variable length packet writing to RW where you could do only it with CDR before.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice