1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Firewall for use with WinXP?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gram123, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I realise this has been asked before, but I figured now that there are more users of WinXP around, you may have more info/opinion on this. My question is, what is the best free firewall software (for personal use only) that is compatible with Windows XP?

I have read a few old threads and visited some "comparison" sites, but often XP-compatibility is not mentioned, or site owners tend to disagree on major issues (such as level of security).

Built in WinXP firewall - It's poor, right?

TPF - I seem to recall that this is basically the same as the built-in firewall, as Microsoft used Tiny's software as a basis - is this correct?

ZA - I've used it with Win98, but are there issues with XP?

Sygate - I read on two different sites that this was "the best free firewall" and also "awkward to use and poor on security".

Others?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gram

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Hiya Gram,

I think you will find this of interest.........

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/22509.html

DSL reports had some pretty good things to say about the WinXP firewall too

You mentioned Sygate, and that is the one I would suggest you stay away from, it is less than good and it leaves a trail of crap behind whenever you attempt to uninstall it.
    There is a bit of spyware going on with them, I tried to find the article where I read about it and of course it is not there now.

I use Z/A with this Win98se and I would consider Tiny Personal Firewall because it is as good as Z/A and uses less resources than Z/A.
    It is not easy to configure and set up TPF. :confused:

DS

3. Hannah

Hannah

Hello..I use z/a with windows xp as I did with 98 se before the upgrade,and havent had any problems and it works great,I checked for compatibility ...and it did mention xp, but didnt say anything about not being compatible,so I guess its ok.

4. Hannah

Hannah

OOOOOOPS! Sorrry, I think I quoted when I should've replied :p :D :)

5. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

DS - It sounds as though the built-in XP firewall is okay, it just has less "functionality" than the others.
    I am considering TPF, there seems to be a few sites with help info for it, so if I got stuck...

Hannah - Yeah, I believe as long as you disable the XP firewall, ZA will work without a hitch, so this is also an option.

Maybe I'll try both and test them at a PC security testing site like Shields Up, and make my decision on that. I did quite like ZA for ease of use, but if TPF has more features... well... do I need those features???

Gram

6. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

S'okay, you're new. We'll forgive you this time!;)

BTW, Welcome to the site. People here are generally pretty friendly and there's a lot of in-depth and varied knowledge floating about. Just try not to get trapped in the quicksand that is the Random Discussion forum or you'll end up like Dark Star! ;) :p

Oh, and nice that your first post is an answer. My first 50 or so were all questions!

Gram

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

Gram,

I recall having found a couple of TPF help sites and I was pretty much set on using it............

.........I recall printing out some of the info, and I don't mind saying that alot of what I read was over my head. I even downloaded it but it became a bit confusing to me and I guess I'm a creature of habit, so back to Z/A I went.

I am still curious about TPF and if you decide to give it a go I would be only too curious to find out what you think of it and how it all works out.

DS

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm running ZA with XP Pro and I've never had any problems with it.

9. Hannah

Hannah

Hello.... Im glad I could brighten your day Gram...I dont think I disabled xp's firewall ..Im wondering if Bryan did his???? What would happen if the 2 ran together??

10. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Well, there's this:
    from the WinXP readiness tester.

I was under the impression that it was one or the other, but not both...
    I've seen lots of comments from people who have disabled the XP firewall and installed ZA instead, so perhaps that's what I'm thinking of.

I have got hold of Norton Firewall 2002.
    Can anyone tell me if it's any cop? I'll check out the comparisons when I get chance, but I like to hear personal accounts!

Gram

Gram

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Hannah, the XP firewall doesn't install itself by default and I never installed it, so I didn't have to disable it when I installed ZA.

12. Hannah

Hannah

oooh k Bryan, that explains it,soo then I dont have it running. Thanx on the info..wasnt sure .... :(

Gram I never used Norton,but I know ppl who use it, but their not running XP....and they like it;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice