1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Firewall

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Nita, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

I have windows98SE and have been using the free zonealarm firewall as well as AVG. Some time ago yjey stopped giving updates and the new version was not compatible with windows 98. Since then I have had a lot of problems of instability and seem to spend most of my time watching the darn thing reboot. Does anyone know of a free firewall that I could use instead of the zone alarm. I am looking into getting a new computer but meanwhile I need to keep going with this.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi try Jetico Firewall use it on my Win98se not online often these days but does the job.
    http://www.jetico.com

3. escalader

escalader

Here is a quote for you to consider:

"I am a relatively new Comodo user, and I think it's great. I have it set to automatic and it runs itself. After using ZoneAlarm for a few years and putting up with the uncertainties of bugs and bad upgrades that could affectively stop you in your tracks, Comodo is a breath of fresh air"

Wheather it works with W98 you will have to see!

If I were you I would upgrade to win xp sp2 asap, hold there and wait for say 5 years to upgrade to vista.

Use FF browser NOT IE 6 or 7 unless forced via MS updates!

4. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Thanks Blues_harp jetico seems to be a
    free for a short trial period only
    Thanks Escalader unfortunately Comodo is not for windows 98.
    I certainly intend to go for the XP system rather than Vista.
    Would you recommend uninstalling IE6. I find that when there is trouble with IE there is also trouble with FF. Is that because both are installed?
    I tried to run HJT but when I try to save the log I get Adobe downloadManager box with message saying download cannot continue error parsing voucher. What does this mean. I am trying to run it from my computer!
    I seem to be in a big mess

5. golferbob

golferbob

6. escalader

escalader

(1) in winxp sp2 I run IE 6 and FF 2.0 fine so that is not a problem. Don't uninstall IE 6.
    (2) big mess is 99% due IMHO to you trying to do windows xp things in w98, I can't prove it but I bet that is the case
    (3) If you have to stay in w98 for a while, don't try to install new software that needs winxp!
    (4) In windows 98 un-install all your applications that want XP and just coast along with your email and your forum here! Don't uninstall without advice 1 by 1 glad to help you
    (5) If you have a legal 98 you can buy an upgrade to winxp
    (6) save all your internet email addresses and logon info in case all blows up and you have to use a public computer to communicate.
    (7) Backup ALL your data files, word, excel etc etc

7. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Can someone help me please. I managed to download and instal jetico but then couldn't connect to the internet. When I uninstalled it I got into a lot of trouble as windows would not load... missing file I had to put in my windows disk and go thro' a step by step thingy.I finally got back to where I had been and connected but feel uneasy aboot the out of date zonealarm . I anyone willing to take me thro' the procedures for configuring jetico...it looks extremely complicated to me. I am on the way to getting a new pc but meanwhile..... I am running adaware personal after each sortie on the internet in an attempt to stay safe.

8. blues_harp28

Hi Nita..Jetico will install by it'self to it's default settings..adjustments can be made later [but no need to make any adjustments]
    It may be a that there is a confilct with Zonealarm and Jetico.
    Remove all referencies to Zonealarm first.

9. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Should I download the jetico.exe file, disconnect from the internet, remove zonealarm on the add /remove panel and then instal jetico?

10. blues_harp28

Hi Yes that would be the way to go.
    After uninstalling Zonealarm from add-remove programs..check in files and folder and remove all referencies to Zonealarm.
    Let us know if all works ok.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice