1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Harddrive Backup Software?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RxBandit, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

I'm looking to back up my D: drive to my H: drive. Does anybody know of any free programs that would do such a thing? I tried Han-Soft Auto Backup, but it's a 30 day trial thing.

2. smeegle

smeegle

3. Augie65

Augie65

4. lister

lister

another for Cobian.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll third the vote for Cobian. :) Since I've been using it, it's worked flawlessly. It's very flexible, and the price is right.

6. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

Thanks, all!

7. coachdan32

coachdan32

Does Cobian backup to disk or will it allow you to backup to another partition or HDD?

8. DCM1519

DCM1519

I use Cobian to back up to 4 of my hard drives. It will back up to multiple locations and can be scheduled to do so automatically.

It will backup to floppy etc. but I do not do it because it is easier for me to backup to a hard drive and then copy whatever I want when I have time.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will backup to any path, disk, or network drive. I have it doing all three for various backup jobs.

10. coachdan32

coachdan32

When I was installing Cobian, it mentioned a problem with Zone Alarm alerts. Do any of you use Cobian with Zone Alarm? Are there other conflicts between the two softwares?

11. DCM1519

DCM1519

I have been running Cobian and Zone Alarm for several years with no problems at all.

12. coachdan32

coachdan32

Do you run the free version or the Pro?

13. lister

lister

Not really a problem - just ZA shows activity, even though cobian only connects to the localhost via TCP/IP.

14. DCM1519

DCM1519

I am running the free version now but ran the Pro version until the newer versions became too intrusive. I uninstalled them and installed an old version that I had saved.

15. coachdan32

coachdan32

Can someone explain the 4 different setup options on Cobian? I am unsure which to choose. I have a small home network and the only account that needs to access this program is mine and it is not password protected. The choices are:

1.As an application. Autostart for all users.
    2.As an application. Autostart for current user.
    3.As an application. No autostart.
    4.As a service (NT based systems only)

The last option requires an account name and password. I am running XP Pro on one machine and XP Home on the other. What is my best option? I want to be able to backup my network files as well as files local to the machine I am installing it on (XP Home).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice