Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Free PDF Reader Win10 64 Desktop?

805 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Johnny b 
#1 ·
Can Anyone Tell ME Where I can Get a Free PDF Reader for Windows 10 64bit desktop? Adobe doesn't offer one anymore and neither does my old one - foxit.

#6 ·
While Adobe is the OG of pdf readers, I do not recommend it. It (many Adobe products, actually - Photoshop or Flash, as examples :() has a long history of being riddled with security vulnerabilities and consequently for being a target of the badguys.

In fact, it is due to the high frequency of newly discovered vulnerabilities and Adobe's lackluster response times to address and patch those vulnerabilities that let Micrsoft to remove Flash from Windows.

So instead, I use and recommend Foxit PDF Reader. Another good alternative is Sumatra PDF. Both are free for non-commercial use. Just remember, AS ALWAYS, select the custom install option so you are presented with any prompts to opt out of any extras being offered you don't want during the install process.

By the way, for those interested (professionally or simple curiosity) in staying current on newly discovered security vulnerabilities, I recommend signing up for the Department of Homeland Security's US-CISA (Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency) Vulnerability Summary Bulletins. These come out weekly and can be very informative (if not a bit scary! :().

To sign up, click on a bulletin, scroll down to the bottom to the "Subscribe to Alerts" section. Enter your email address and you will be taken to a page of available topics. At a minimum, I recommend "Cybersecurity Advisories" and "Vulnerability Bulletins".

#7 · (Edited)
Edit comment. The below was posted as a response to another post that has now, for some reason disappeared. It seemed to question the availability of "off-line" installation versions of Foxit PDF Reader and Sumatra Reader, as well as an undefined issue with the size of the Fox it reader file. I did not understand the nature of the concerns, hence the following reply.

I don't understand what you are looking for.

Yes, Foxit is 160MB. Adobe is nearly 230Mb.

Sumatra has an exe installer and a zip "portable" installer. Sumatra is very lightweight (hence its much smaller size) but less feature rich too.

If you want something even lighter, there is Slim PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.