1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free program for making repeating patterns?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Cetaceous, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I have some public domain images of ancient Egyptian patterns that I want to use on clothing so I am looking for a (preferably free or inexpensive) program I can use to take those images and calibrate them into seamless repeating patterns.

I tried rotating and trimming them in Lightroom 4 and Irfanview but I had to eyeball it and there is an obvious seam on one side when I set it to repeat in the clothing program.

Is there a free program that will detect and adjust the pattern automatically? I have had no luck finding anything, so I thought I'd ask here.

**To be clear, I am looking to take a small chunk of an existing pattern and make it repeat seamlessly (so all 4 sides need to align perfectly).

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Try this..............

Open image in Irfanview then > Image > Create Tiled Images > OK

Did you try the above? Does that work for what you want?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Also ... Image > Create Panorama will let you "merge" different Images.
    Are you sure the seam you're seeing when merged isn't an "edge" in the original image ?
    Can you attach an image or two ??

4. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I am not having trouble tiling the images. The trouble is that, when tiled, the edges don't match up (notice the center seams; horizontal and vertical).
    Scarabpattern.jpg
    scarabtile.jpg
    I need to find something that will even out all edges so I can match them when they tile.

5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I think I know why the pattern doesn't line up.......The two top corners are not exactly the same. The pattern doesn't seem to have been cut square. This is a copy of the thumbnail in your post. The red arrows point to the discrepancy in the pattern. Because of that discrepancy I doubt very much that you will ever get them to match up.
    Scarabpattern.jpg

6. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I know, that is what I'm trying to figure out how to do!

I am only able to crop it by eye. There must be a program that will allow me to cut and manipulate it so that all the edges are right.
    (plus, I think it is a scan from a book, so it also might be a little bent on one end)

7. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I don't think I can help you further other than to give you a link to GIMP. Free & Open Source Image Editor.

Have you tried GIMP? It may be able to manipulate your pattern to straighten it out. GIMP is a very sophisticated program with many many features/options. Its a completely free program.

https://www.gimp.org

Noyb is the resident expert here when it comes to image manipulation and may be able to help you further.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I have. I used to use GIMP before I got Photoshop. Do you think there would be a way to use Photoshop to do it? Everything I found when searching pointed to Illustrator, not Photoshop.

I really need something that will match up the edges for me so that I don't have to eyeball it!

9. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I don't know about Photoshop or Illustrator but may be able to. Gimp does have an alignment tool but I don't know if that tool will work for you for what you want. I would assume that Photoshop or Illustrator have the same type of tool but again I don't know. Those questions are better answered by Noyb.

10. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I've taken your image and modified it. I can't seem to get it just right. The top two corners now match I think, but other parts of the image don't as you can see. Actually I think I made it worse :(. I'll work on it some more but I can't guarantee that I will be successful because of the pattern not being square.
    Scarabpattern6.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  11. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Here it is tiled 2 wide x 2 high. I've marked with an arrow, some of the areas that don't match now after I altered the original image to get the corners matched! :(
    Scarabpattern6_Tiled.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  12. 2twenty2

2twenty2

After more observation of the image I have come to the conclusion I can not get the image to align.
    Another reason why............. Too much of the bottom of the image is missing. That is why on the previous post of the image there is misalignment where the upper and lower images meet.
    Scarabpattern3small.jpg

13. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Here is the image tiled side x side after fixing the corners.

Scarabpattern6sidexside.jpg

14. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

Wow, I just saw this, thanks! (I didn't see the emails saying someone had responded, for some reason).

What did you use to do it with? I have a number public domain images of beautiful patterns that I would like to do the same thing with, which is why I was looking for a program that could do it. Maybe I just need to wait until I can (somehow) afford Illustrator...

Here is the original, uncropped image if you want to play with it:

15. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Well, I used GIMP and Irfanview and believe it or not mostly irfanview. But be aware that the image in post #13 still is not perfect and I'll repeat myself here it is because the image is not square (it is slightly tilted to the right). I have no idea how or even if that image can be straightened out.
    Essentially what I did was crop the right half of the original image, flipped that right half crop horizontally then inserted that on the left side of the original image to correct the top two corners. In the process it created other imperfections because of the image not being square.

Arrows point to imperfections.
    Click on image for better view.
    Scarabpattern6sidexside2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice