1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Space inaccuracies?? Calculating disc space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by izombie7, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izombie7

izombie7 Thread Starter

Hi, I've noticed sometimes that the Free Space on my harddrives won't reflect changes I've made. For example, on my 28.6gb F: drive, I had about 586mb free. I just deleted a video file of about 700 mb, so it should be up to about 1.2 gb. Oddly enough, its still at 586mb. I emptied the recycle bin of course.

Is there a way to recalculate disc space? I have Windows XP and I do have Norton System Works. This isn't the first time disc space hasn't matched recent actions. Thanks in advance.

2. Moby

Moby

If the video wasn't in My Docs then 'System Restore' in XP may have recorded the change to enable a future restore. To record a 700mb deletion that it may be asked to restore back takes 700mb.
    System restore ignores the My Docs folder so the above is irrelevant if the video was deleted from that location.

3. izombie7

izombie7 Thread Starter

As far as I know I have System Restore turned off, plus I delete large videos fairly often without this occuring. How do I check this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!