1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free space on CD-RW?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eriktack, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eriktack

eriktack Thread Starter

Deleting individual files from a CD-RW does not seem to increase the amount of available disk space. So if a CD-RW is (almost) full, I can’t just delete a few files and replace them by others in Nero. I get a “disk full” error message and I always need to erase the entire disk first. Is this normal?

Thanks

2. veio

veio

annoyinly enough yes if the disc is finalised the only way to get it back is with a reformat of the whole cd. well its the only way i know of

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    nero has a facility called INCD i think thats its name - this allows you to use the CD just like a floppy/hardrive - you can delete files and add-files.

I'm not sure about reading it on other machines as again it will need to be finalised.
    also as a backup - i would not recommend incd or cd-rw's CDR are so cheap now...

I used roxio and directCD and i'm sure i can move between machines on that and still add/delet - but i will need to check again to be sure

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

CD-RW means CD-ReWritable, where the CD is able to be reformatted before being re-written.

It does not mean CD-Read/Write like a floppy or hard disk.

So as above, you cannot erase files and recover space. Reformat only.

InCD etc can work around this, but I support the view above, its not worth it as its very unreliable in many cases.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use CD-RW media for portability between machines, kinda' like a large floppy. However, I write all the stuff once, then erase them for any future use.

6. johnni

johnni

As I have mentioned before here I well recommend the use of CD-RWs formatted with Nero InCD. You will lose some capacity in the formatting process (about 100mb) but the formatted disk can then have individual files or folders written, deleted, renamed at will. I am well aware that CD-RWs are the least reliable of the CD media but in 3.5 years I have only occasionally had to back up the data to the hard drive after receiving a message to do so and to reformat the disk, then copy back again. The more worn/scratched the disk becomes the more often the message appears until I decide to discard the disk. I have never actually lost any data by accident.
    To me this slight disadvantage is outweighed by the sheer convenience of the system. Obviously data stored anywhere is liable to be lost so make sure data written to a CD-RW is perhaps itself a backup and not the only location.

johnni

7. finwood

finwood

I don't use InCD, but I do use DLA, and have for years. The inconvenience of having to reformat every year or so, is a small price to pay when you look at the time it would take to reconstruct 6 months of your money account ,or your password organizer. I keep my disk in the drive and make copies of important files everytime I change them. Every month I make a copy of My Docs, and My Downloads. These two folders have years of important files, that would be practically impossible to re-create. When I was working, I would use the CD/RW like johnwill, as a big floppy, to transport files, programs, etc. between home and school.

8. johnni

johnni

finwood - as you keep a CD-RW in your drive all the time I suggest you save yourself the inconvenience of doing a manual backup by investigating THIS free program which is quite capable of copying to a CD-RW at times specified by you, or manually by clicking a green arrow whenever you want. All my updated or new files/folders are backed up automatically every evening at 23:50!

johnni

9. finwood

finwood

Thanks, I have been looking for a good backup program. I particularly like the scheduling capability and the fact that it backs up the directory structure. I keep everything catorgorized into folders. Some of the other ones I have tried just makes a long list of files. Yuk! What a Mess!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice