1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Space on HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SallyMay, Apr 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SallyMay

SallyMay Thread Starter

With a 2gb harddrive with only 600mb of space used error message saying harddrive full, free up space before saving document. When i look at available space it says 512k free! I dont think it is a windows problem (windows 98SE) because i have run scandisk on boot up prior to windows loading and has also showed harddrive as completely full. Then i can boot again and all seems fine until i try to save a document (in msword 97). The problem seems intermitent. Have done all the usual, scandisk, defrag and even ran a utility program to check harddrive (spinrite). At first i thought it looked like an ide controller problem, so i replace the motherboard. same problems. replaced cable - same problems. Could this be a ram issue? No other problems besides this. I hope someone out there can help me get to the bottom of this. Thank you very much

2. ETS

ETS

Hi SallyMay,

Can you give us some more information about your system? Like what brand hard drive, computer, motherboard, bios, etc.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi SallyMay
    I would get the latest virus updates and run a virus scan.
    Also go to control panel, internet options, and under temporary internet options, pick delete files. Then see if your space changes, Anything in the recycle bin?

Could you open my computer, right click on your c drive,pick properties, and post the hard drive information back here?

[Edited by Lurker1 on 04-26-2001 at 11:09 AM]

4. SallyMay

SallyMay Thread Starter

the hard drive is a fujitsu 2G, motherboard (now)is a gigabyte GA-5AA (award bios), AMD K6 233, 32mb ram (already swapped it out for 128mb - same problem) CD rom drive is now on secondary ide (tried both)

if i go into add/remove programs and remove software or any of windows components i can get 2 different results 1. still shows harddrive quite full with however much more space available that the removed software took up, or 2. harddrive shows proper usage ie. 600mb used 1.4G free.

It is unstable,i can reboot and harddrive will show as it should or will show full. When it shows properly as soon as i go to do anything or try to save to harddrive (or even floppy) it will revert to being a full drive at any given time. Sometimes i can save several times before it happens and sometimes it happens right away.

The computer with this problem is not used for internet. Have done virus scan with 3 different up-to-date antivirus software - it's clean. Recycle bin is empty.

Again, properties of hard drive will either show 600mb used with 1.4G free or it will show 1.9+G used and 512k to 8mb free (depending on how much space has been freed deleting/uninstalling)

My next move is to put the hard drive in a system that i know works flawless and see what happens. I suspect the problem is with the harddrive itself.

5. ETS

ETS

My next question is when you move the hard drive around like that from motherboard to motherboard and system are you paying attention to how the drive parameters are recognized in your BIOS each time. I would also like to know how and where the hard drive was formatted and what format is being used. FAT16, 32 etc.
    It is very important for a hard drive to be configured correctly in order for it to function properly.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi SallyMay
    Well I havent seen this problem before, but when you say that you "run scandisk on boot up prior to windows loading" Is this the windows scandisk or the Dos scandisk? If you used the windows scandisk I would try booting from a windows boot disk and runing scandisk from there. For some reason the DOS scandisk can find errors that the windows scandisk doesnt.

7. SallyMay

SallyMay Thread Starter

Thank you ETS and Lurker1 for your prompt responses. I greatly appreciate you takin the time to help me out.

first ETS, yes the hard drive is configured correctly in the bios for each system. format used is fat32.

Lurker1, i have ran both the windows and the dos scandisk. the dos scandisk was run from a floppy boot disk (windows98 SE), which is why at first i didnt think that the problem was software related.

New development - and this is quite interesting...installed harddrive into another system, checked used space on harddrive, was 575mb (good), opened word97 and began to type, noticed harddrive making writing sounds, but i hadnt yet typed much or saved document. checked setting in word options, spelling/grammar, saw that "check grammar while typing" was enabled.
    checked used space on hard drive, was 825mb, went back to word (still open) typed another sentence, checked used space was over 1.1gb...and it just kept on climbing. closed word program, used space remained at 1.2gb.
    By going into add/remove programs and adding paint to windows setup and cancelling when it said insert cd, the used spaced dropped back down to 575mb.
    Opened word and removed check mark from "check grammar while typing" and......
    so far its been stable at 575mb of used space.

I will be un-installing and re-installing MS word in hopes that it is just a glitch with a grammar file. Any of you ever seen this before?

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

No I havent seen it before but it looks like you have isolated it. I forget if the grammer checker is a shared component and if you will need to remove all of office to get rid of it. (Your documents should stay put) You may want to run a registry cleaner
    http://www.tweakfiles.com/registry/easycleaner.html
    between removal and reinstall.

9. SallyMay

SallyMay Thread Starter

ok, with removal of word and reinstall...all is good :)

I have to admit that this bizarre issue will not be forgotten :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice