1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free space on my C drive fluctuates!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kidittar, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kidittar

Kidittar Thread Starter

Hi!

My problem is that the free space on my c drive fluctuates it goes from 17GB free to 0MB free... when it is down to under 200MB free my computer does popups to let me know I am running low on space. I know that I have 17 GB free but I can't work out how to let my computer know it!

I have windows xp home edition & 120GB hard drive.

I tried to see if I could fix it with my windows disk but after I pushed r (for recovery/repair) it asked for an administrator password ??? I have not got one ... I tried a few different passwords but they didnot work, so then I did chkdsk and it came up with one or more errors on my disk!!! What can I do!

Please HELP me:(

2. Kidittar

Kidittar Thread Starter

Do you think that recovery/repair might work.... If so how do I get rid of the admin password... I get into the windows disk I push 'r' for recovery then I push '1' then the computer asks for administrator password... I have never set one. I rang up the computer tech who usually repairs my computer & he said he didn't set one.... I tried every password that I have ever used but I still cannot get into it... I have a program that helps with passwords it showed me every user account password but that is it!! Please Help me

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. Kidittar

Kidittar Thread Starter

Thnx - I tried the scanner @ ewido.net last night but half way thru it the web page closed down so I downloaded the scanner and did it today, it went for over 5 HOURS but it found over 800 items, I couldnt believe it!! so I deleted those. I am doing a virus scan on the computer at the moment and after that finishes I will try to back up my stuff on the computer ... then try xp repair.. hopefully something will work!!!!!!!!!???????????

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well I am sure a lot of the 800 were only cookies but I'm also sure a lot of it was really bad too. Obviously you need an ongoing spyware program when this is all over and the better ones today are Spysweeper, and Superantispyware, which you buy and keep loaded running in the background to keep all this mess out.
    Let's see what virus scan points out as well.

6. dragjack

dragjack

it would be a good idea to do another ewido scan in safe mode as well!! woooohoooo 800 items!! :O

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Or if nothing else reboot and run eWido again.

8. Kidittar

Kidittar Thread Starter

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this but I have been offline... I put a new hard drive in (I had planned to anyway ) I had hoped it would fix the problem but the problem is still here but on the bright side I have a 300GB hard drive (was 120GB).

I think I have found the problem but donot know how to fix it. I have done chkdsk and it always comes up with errors and tells me to do it with /f which I have done and with /r but it still comes up with errors. Heres what I think is the problem (quoted from chkdsk)
    "Free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Free space marked as allocated in the Volume bitmap."

I think that may be the problem but I donot know how to fix it any ideas?

PS I did a safe mode run of ewido plus a few others as well...nothing more :(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!