1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Space

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by PageV8, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PageV8

PageV8 Thread Starter

How can I make free space on my D-drive if it is full?
    Thank you.
    VP

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    copy items onto a DVD/CD that you do not need instant access to
    What operating system do you have
    you may be able to change the format to NTFS and compress the drive .... But make sure you have a full baqckup of all the data before you do that

can you supply more info
    make and model of PC
    whats on the D drive

3. PageV8

PageV8 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home ED. Version 5.1 Intel system model D. When I click on My Properties the D-drive is full--even when I do not have a disk in the tray.
    I cannot Copy anything the "Burn" tab will not light up.
    There may be files that need to be deleted but I don't know how to delete these files to make free space on the D-drive. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

4. draceplace

draceplace

As etaf said 'what is on the D drive'? What exactly is the D drive, hard disk? You say 'no disk in tray' is it a CD/DVD drive?

5. PageV8

PageV8 Thread Starter

My "D" drive is the DVD-RW CD drive. When I go into My Computer and click on Properties this is where (of course you know) it shows that the space is full. Perhaps this is why---when I put a disk in the "D" drive to burn a CD, the disk is not recognized. Does that make sense? I don't see where I can delete files. Can you explain how I can delete the files to make space available? Perhaps this will solve my problem. Thanking you in advance.

6. draceplace

draceplace

PageV8 if you want help you need to pick a thread and stay with it. From reading your two threads you really need to find someone who know how CD's, files and stuff work. Depending on how you wrote to the CD you may or maynot be able to delete files. You need to start the process with a clean/empty/brand new "writable CD".

google this "how to write to a cd xp".

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can only delete files from a CD or DVD if you're using an rewritable disk that was formatted for real-time read/write access (called "packet writing").

Windows XP is not capable of burning to DVDs, so I would expect you'd see the disk as "full" in My Computer. You'd have to use a DVD burning application to burn data to a DVD, assuming you have a DVD burner installed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!