1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free Spam Filter

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Noyb, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

2. hewee

hewee

Does not sound very good to me because even if it knows the email is spam it just moves it to your spam folder.
    That means you had to download the spam still.

Better of with MailWasher so you can filter out the email at the server and bounce, delete the spam there so you only download good email so then your have no need of a spam folder because you never download any spam. :D

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Thanks … and Interesting Viewpoint.

Since I changed one of my Email Addresses (the one I use here and another) I don’t get much Spam anymore, so I’ll have a difficult time testing any spam filter.
    When I first got on TSG … I published my Address out in the open .. before I found out that was a huge mistake.

I was told that http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp might allow the Blocking of specific domains … Such as China.
    Seems like we get a lot of our products from there nowadays (n)

What I’d like to find is a Spam Filter that will allow the blocking of any mail where its properties list it as misconfigured, untrusted, not even sent to my Address … or a range of IP address.
    That should kill about all of the Spam I've seen in the past.

Maybe I’m wrong .. But I thought that as long as I didn’t open (or preview) any arrived email .. I was safe.

4. hewee

hewee

The paid version of MailWasher does so much so it would be worth the money.

But your right posting a address on the web or chat will get picked up and your be in trouble.
    Plus get a email user name that is not easy to guess and not used any place else just for your email.

Read up on setting up a email account what is in the find print. Like with comcast when I signed up I said no to getting any news letters from them. You can opt-out and they will stop sending you email news letters. But deep in the find print that I missed seeing was they share your address with 3rd partys if you sign up for the news letters and your on your own dealing with getting off there list and who ever they give it too.
    Will be 4 years in 5 months and I have never gotten spam.
    I keep my ISP address safe. No one that forwards, list other people address in email etc were given my new address because even being family and nice people they just don't get it and are sending your address all over the place. One get a worm that gets address off a PC and your get spam like crazy.
    Turn off the java and block web bugs in your mail program.
    Never open any mail unless you trust it and scan it first.
    Open email as plain text.

Yes you may be safe from something bad in a email if you don't open ot but it's still on your PC. The spammer knows the email was never sent back so the address is good.
    Bounce it back to them ASAP so they think the address is no good.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/507750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice