1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free up disk space on print server!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheetuGP14, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheetuGP14

TheetuGP14 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having a problem with my HP C8180 printer. It is connected wirelessly to my computer yet when I print something the screen on the printer says 'now printing', but it fails to print anything. However, I tried printing a few words and that worked but I still can't print documents. I think this has something to do with the disk space on the print server and about something called 'spooling'. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help on this issue.

Thank you,

TheetuGP14

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Disk space on the printer? That printer doesn't have a disk!

Have you tried a wired connection to the printer?

3. TheetuGP14

I read somewhere that I need to do something to do with 'spooling' so that I would be able to print wirelessly again. I havent tried a wired connection at the moment because I need the wireless function to work as there are several people who need to use the printer. Any idea of what to do?

Thank you for your help

4. JohnWill

The wired option was suggested at a diagnostic tool, not a permanent solution. :)

I'd try removing all the drivers and installing the latest version. You might also check to see if there is updated firmware for that printer.

5. TheetuGP14

I have already done this, whilst even removing and installing the software again. It doesnt seem to be working. The printer status is 'connected' and it is connected to the network yet it doesnt print. I am quite confused as I have tried many things yet there seems to be no progress. It can print things when photocopying or scanning yet when things have to be printed wirelessly this is where the problem remains.

Once again thank you for your time

6. JohnWill

Does this happen with any user or just one specific machine?

7. TheetuGP14

It happens with several machines, I am using a computer and the other machine is a macbook. Recently I had to change my router because the old one went faulty, my net provider is Sky. From that day the printer was unable to print wirelessly. Even though the printer states that it us connected could it be this change that has affected the wireless function?

8. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Go to the properties for the printer (on the computer). Go to Advanced and select to Print directly to the printer. This will turn off the spooler on your PC.

This is a temporary fix because you won't be able to do anything else until the document prints (unless you have a dual-core or better). In the meantime, you need to find out why your router won't send full files to the printer.

Courtney

9. TheetuGP14

Thanks for the help, but I do have a core 2 duo, 2.13GHz computer, which is the computer I am using to print documents. I shall try printing directly to the printer as a temporary solution, however is there anything you could suggest that could solve this problem?

Thank you for your help

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!