1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free-up phone

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lana8, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lana8

Lana8 Thread Starter

When online, is there a place under connections to check or uncheck, so that my computor will go off and the phone can ring? With emergency calls coming in I need some way to answer my phone and not be on line. I am on dial-up connection with Windows Millenium on a compaq computor. By the way thanks for telling my to upgrade to 218. Computor runs much better.
    Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lana8 (y)

2. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    The best solution is to change to broadband, as you can then be online and use your phone on the same line. If you stay on dialup you will need a second line so you can have a dedicated line for Phone/fax and another for computer. I don't know what telephone costs are like in US but here broadband is cheaper than the extra line plus dial up call costs.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When I was using 56K dial-up, I had 2 separate phone lines installed - one for my computer and one for the phone and fax machine.

As long as you have 1 phone line, callers are going to get a busy signal when they call you and you're on-line.

4. dbn

dbn

I am on cable now, but when I had dial-up, I used a service called Pagoo

Go to this link and download to try. It gives you 30 days for free. After that, if you like it, it costs something like $4.95 a month to keep.

You can't answer the phone when the call comes in, but it gives you an instant message that a call has been "caught". Even if the caller doesn't leave a voice-mail (an option it gives), you still get to see the number like with Caller-Id to identify who called.

5. raybro

raybro

There is a relatively new modem feature called V92. It has a Modem-on-hold thing that requires you have first, an ISP that supports V92 technology, a V92 modem and your telephone service must have Caller ID and Call waiting active. The principle is pretty simple... When a call comes in while you are online, you are notified of the call and who it is calling. You can then choose to answer the call and the ISP connection will be put "on hold" until you transfer back to it.

Having said that... I've not actually done this, only read about it. You can read about V92 Here

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice