1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

free up space on c drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cknow, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

Now, I have an 80 gig c-drive, it's so full it won't even let automatic updates, update . do to the fact there is not enough room. now i need to know what to do there is less than 6% space left . I have a d-drive of 350 gigs which is empty. my question is, how do I get more space on my c-drive so things will work properly and faster?????:cool::cool::cool::cool:

2. bbearren

bbearren

Visit my homepage and click on Disk Cleanup.

3. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

this **** isn't helping at all
    \

4. bbearren

bbearren

You can't have tried it that quickly.

5. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

I know all about disk clean up ....I'm not that stupid ...I'm trying to get more space on the c-drive not just a megabit or 2..,.please help

6. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

I've only have 6% of space left on my c-drive ....I can't even defrag it because it takes 15% to do that... can anyone out there please help me get more than 15% of space on my c-drive ....thank you

7. vicks

vicks

Go to control panel select add/remove programs and delete any you are not using.
    Then go into your document's folder and move any files you rarely use to either a flash drive or burn to a cd or dvd. then delete them from your c drive. Also download/install/run ccleaner. Be sure that the registry is NOT checked.
    Hope this helps.
    vicks

8. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

thanks vicks

9. casper0191

casper0191

Also run an anti VIRUs scan to remove any Malware taht occupies space in your disk. Also Defrag you C: hardisk to fix the the data's places in your disk.

10. cknow

cknow Thread Starter

I have done the ccleaner and I have defraged c-drive ,I have removed files and I still don't any more room , I had the free space up to 5.20 gb , but now, I have only 4.19 gb left.. ( which is less than 6%) my d-drive has a total of 298gb ...Free space is 294gb I would like to send some stuff and /or files to d-drive ...but my (send to ) has only 3 1/2 floppy A:and DvD Ram E: what can I do ????
    I have even removed progams ......still nothing .... ?????/ I don't even know if my d-drive is fomated or should be ????? what should I do ????/

11. casper0191

casper0191

Buy another Drive if you wish for more bigger space then. Also if you didn't save anything to the D: and doesn't have any files on it. Then format the D: then transfer some file from the C: to it to free up some space on the C:

12. techservices24

techservices24

You should perform "defrag" and "diskcleanup" utility on the computer. You can also uninstall all the unwanted programs from the computer.

13. bbearren

bbearren

So you already run disk cleanup in conjunction with the sageset/sagerun switches?

Why do i doubt that?

And the *.tmp search and deletion outlined on the last page? Something tells me you've never done that either.

14. bbearren

bbearren

If you don't ever want to use a disk, it need not be formatted. However, if you want to use it for storage or something, then it has to be formatted. You could even repartition it first for a more logical storage system.

As for getting data from C: to D:, drag & drop works quite well.

15. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

cknow
    Open Disk Management (Start - Run - diskmgmt.msc)
    look in the lower pane (graphical display) and tell us what it details about your Hard Drives, post a screenshot too that would help

ps try not to be so abrupt with the people that are assiting you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!