1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

free up space...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trina_gurl, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trina_gurl

trina_gurl Thread Starter

how do i free up some space on my hard drive?

2. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

delete files

3. trina_gurl

i tried deleting files i think i deleted almost all the files on my computer but it still has a lot of space taken up on it....i dont know what to do.....

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

well how big is your hard drive and how much space is takin up on it?

5. trina_gurl

i dont know how big my hard drive is but it says it has 141 mb of free space and 1.86 gb of space used i might have it backwards but im pretty sure thats what it says

6. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

well that isnt a lot of space to have on a computer... you could try uninstalling some programs that you dont use

7. trina_gurl

ok thanks for the help.....i'll see what happens......the computer is used from my grandmother who passed away about a year ago....so im really not sure, but thanks for the help im gonna try it out.....

8. DMBfan63

DMBfan63

You know for someone who is asking our help read a HiJack log you should reconsider how you interact and what you say!
    Consider this a warning!
    Noxt time I will show you the door!

Dave

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Trina try not to listen to people like that. they will get kicked from the forums soon enough.

10. trina_gurl

thanks i will

11. symbion

symbion

Hello.

If you are using Windows 95 or 98 Operating System (OS), you can actually "compress" your hard drive and free up some more space for yourself (Windows XP also offers this option...however, in Windows 2000, you will need to compress files individually). This is a GREAT feature if you must continue (or choose to continue) using an older system. The only "con" is that once this is done, you will not be able to uninstall the Windows operating system that you are using...you CAN upgrade it without any problems :) ...you just cannot uninstall it...which in your case is probably a moot issue (y) .

Let me know if you think that this could be for you, and I'll supply the necessary steps/details :eek: . In the meantime, you are wise to delete/uninstall any files/folders/programs that you definitely do not use or need...cautiously, of course.

Good luck!

Symbion

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

DMBfan63
    I edited your post and I suggest you heed the warning!

Dave

13. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

thank you for that davey

14. Techilishous

Techilishous

Why do you need to free up space is your harddrive full or are you getting an error message? You need to be very carefull when deleting things. I would uninstall programs that you never use. Go to Start\settings\control panel\add\remove programs and double click and pick the programs you never use and uninstall them. After you uninstall them you can go into windows explorer and delete the files in those folders.

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And dumbfan63, I as well expect an apology posted to this thread! :mad:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!