Free web site directory (beta)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

codebytesdev

Hi,

I'm buildnig a free web site directory which is maintained by a system of voting and feedback comments: http://www.i-ranks.com

I was wondering if you could browse the site and tell me what you think i.e. is it intuitive to use, is the interface too bland ... etc

PS. feel free to add your URL to the directory, as the data entered will not be deleted once the project emerges from its beta phase.

***sorry about the double post***

codebytesdev

Come on guys, any comments are still welcome. I really do need to hear more opinions.

I quite like the interface, its always nice to have things uncluttered. And navigation seems quite clear.

Its an interesting idea (similar to one ive been tinkering with at my urlhell site), but i must say your site is more advanced than mine (comments and voting). Trouble is that what is to stop it just becoming a spam link farm? You might of done this already but u may want to add control so that people wont just spam your site (robot file/nofollow links), and also indicate this on the site. Likewise, is there control over the voting? You dont want one person adding their advert site and making it number 1 with 5 minutes of clicking.

oh and your asoft-consulting link at the bottom dont go anywhere.

You need to do some form validation as well. The main page also looks cluttered and the right side column is being crowded.

codebytesdev

GCDude said:
I quite like the interface, its always nice to have things uncluttered. And navigation seems quite clear.

Its an interesting idea (similar to one ive been tinkering with at my urlhell site), but i must say your site is more advanced than mine (comments and voting). Trouble is that what is to stop it just becoming a spam link farm? You might of done this already but u may want to add control so that people wont just spam your site (robot file/nofollow links), and also indicate this on the site. Likewise, is there control over the voting? You dont want one person adding their advert site and making it number 1 with 5 minutes of clicking.

oh and your asoft-consulting link at the bottom dont go anywhere.
Thanks for your input GCDude. At the moment I haven't got a robot checking the validity of links. I had intended to let the users highlight and delete bogus sites by reporting the site and later having a robot check to see if the url exists and deleting bogus sites. I will code a robot to perform this function soon. As for voting control; I have none. I have thought about this issue and I intened to implement a system of daily voting whereby votes are cached for each site for a day. If a user votes for that site again (based on IP addressing) then a message will be displayed saying "disallowed" or something.

Rockn said:
You need to do some form validation as well. The main page also looks cluttered and the right side column is being crowded.
Good point. I didn't realise that users could get away with not even entering their URL! I need to get working on all aspects of form validation right away!

thanks for all your comments so far. I think I have enough to be getting on with for now:)

You misunderstand my first point (sorry i didnt explain it very well). What i meant was you want to stop some ad-infested spam site being registered under every category ( or multiple times in same category).

People do this with the intention of increasing the number of websites that link to them hopefully increasing there search position. What you should do is to tell people that the site will not add to any page rank (put a robots.txt file in your root directory telling search engines not to index links out). This might hopefully stop some people spamming, you might also want to make sure that the site hasnt been added previously (maybe a ban list as well).

When I opened it, I got that "selling domain, temp search" feeling going. Maybe add a little discription or a page that describes what it's about.

codebytesdev

Oh, I see what you mean (sorry I didn't read your first post properly).

At present I have a system which will only allow one unique URL in the entire directory to prevent multiple site occurences in any category. However, the suggestion you made of a ban list as well would help since precious server time wouldn't be spent deleting the same sites over and over.

I'm not sure about preventing search engines from indexing links out. Having my site crawled by search engines is one of the attractive features my site has to offer. I think I will have to permit the indexing of links within my site and at the same time impose a higher level of security to stop spam sites.

thanks again.

codebytesdev

php guy said:
When I opened it, I got that "selling domain, temp search" feeling going. Maybe add a little discription or a page that describes what it's about.
I have both: a description on the home page and a link to an about page. But I guess this information could be presented better. Great, another aspect to work on:rolleyes:

thanks for your input php guy.

Oh, that "About i-Ranks" link will do it lol. Missed it the first time. :eek:

Guess I should't critique pages right when I wake up. :rolleyes:

What he said. But, if you take the time to look around it's good.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online