1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Free website-building software without an obligatory host?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by masonite, Oct 21, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. masonite

masonite Thread Starter

I'm looking for easy-to-use, free software to create a simple one or two-page website.
    But I don't want to get involved with a software supplier that also wants me to house my site on their server, because I already have a domain name and hosting service.
    Any suggestions?
    BTW: I'll need software that will be compatible with most browsers, and also Android systems, if that's possible.
    Maybe I'm expecting too much from free software?
    Thanks for reading this :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most domain hosting sites provide HTML editors, have you check to see yours has?

3. masonite

masonite Thread Starter

Thanks, DaveA. My outfit offers Wordpress but I don't want to use that.

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

You might take a look at WYSIWYG design tools, such as Kompozer, which also has tutorials showing you how to use it - here's one.
    Regarding mobile responsiveness: take a look at this

5. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Wordpress with a free responsive theme will do this easily for you. Otherwise take a look at responsive html templates there are loads of sites that offer them if you do a search like this one. You can then use something like the free Notepad++ to edit the template to suit your site.

6. masonite

masonite Thread Starter

JiminSA: Thanks for the links. Actually, from reading Chris Heng's (amazing!) tutorial, it seems that Kompozer is a bit dated. I'm checking out some of his other suggestions.

colinsp: Thanks, also. I'm not sure what 'free responsive themes are (duh) but I'll check out your links. However, I only want to set up one site, and don't have the time (or mental capacity) to learn HTML, so I definitely need dork-level software.

BTW: I built a few webpages for computer clients circa 2003, using Web Page Maker, but I think that app is outdated now. Actually, the entire online industry has changed markedly since then. Gawd knows where it'll be in another 15 yearso_O

7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Just fire up Wordpress, it should just be a one click install and the default theme that it comes with is responsive then just add your content which is just like typing into a word processor.

As you have it for free give it a try it is probably the easiest for you given your skill levels at the moment ;)

8. masonite

masonite Thread Starter

OK, I've been checking out WordPress clips on YouTube and it certainly seems to be a useful piece of kit. The one I'm watching ATM adds Elementor plus the guy's favorite theme. Powerful stuff.

colinsp likes this.
  9. digitized

digitized

Why don't you want to use wordpress?

10. masonite

masonite Thread Starter

Not sure that's relevant. Does it matter?
    But seeing as you've asked, I'll just say it's too complicated for me.

11. digitized

digitized

@masonite
    I'm just curious, because WordPress.com is one of the easiest systems to use for simple 1-2 page sites. Unless you want to design something yourself. But they have lots of templates.

12. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    @digitized He is talking about his own hosted site so using his own install of Wordpress NOT the .com version.

13. thomytom

thomytom

What about a website builder like hPage: https://www.hPage.com? You can create a free website there. The websites are also mobile optimized and is compatible with almost all browsers. You can check it out and see if it suits you.

14. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    @thomytom the OP specifically did not want a page on another host he wanted it on his own existing host.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice