Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Free win10 upgrade, MS now getting pushy about it.

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  earthman 
#1 ·
I'm still on Win7, I noticed that their pop up window to install Win10 has changed, there is no option to select another date for the install, it were only ever 3 days ahead anyhow.

I'm wondering, is the free offer coming to an end then?

Looking through some of the past threads on here, I see that some have reverted back to their old OS after dabbling with Win10, I'm wondering if I should even bother/risk trying it to be honest?.....Although I dare say that I'll be forced to in the end.

#5 ·
i'm suggesting people wait until the new year - let all the major bugs get resolved , also for manufacturers to design and release new drivers
IE - Sony is due to release drivers for VAIO in November 2015 and advising to wait

#7 ·
I read a couple of articles this morning about Microsoft forcing the Windows 10 upgrade on unsuspecting Windows 7/8.1 users.
I've hid or uninstalled several Windows updates to prevent this from happening, but most users aren't aware of or know how to do it.
I've also got a .reg file waiting in the wings, just in case it's needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#9 · (Edited)
Is your computer running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1?
Have you already installed the monthly updates that were released yesterday?

One of our trusted advisors, DaveBurnett has compiled a list of Windows updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 users that he recommends be hidden or uninstalled.
You might want to start a conversation with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
Is your computer running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1?
Have you already installed the monthly updates that were released yesterday?

One of our trusted advisors, DaveBurnett has compiled a list of Windows updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 users that he recommends be hidden or uninstalled.
You might want to start a conversation with him.

Yes, Win7 and I did notice that rather long update when I shut down.

#13 ·
There are several Windows updates that you can uninstall and hide, and there are registry tweaks that you can make use of.

Unfortunately, it's not for novice/inexperienced users, and it's too detailed and time-consuming for me to submit here.

You can do a Google search on the subject and find numerous links to read about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
I've got a few local "computer illiterate" users whose Windows 7 computers I service about once a month.
They have no idea which updates not to install and what tweaks to use, so I do it myself to insure they don't accidentally reserve or install Windows 10.
I'm pushing 70 and my eyes are getting bad, so they may be without my help in the near future.

#16 ·
I've just had a go at uninstalling that KB3035583 and hiding it plus the 'upgrade to win10',....rebooted and checked that they are still lurking under the 'Restore hidden updates' icon, clicked cancel and closed that window down.

I can see that that KB3035583 is a right pesky file, it did automatically re download itself after the first time I did it,.....I'm not holding my breath but that's all I can do at the mo.

#19 ·
I normally automatically get my updates after hitting 'shut down',....I see that there are some waiting for me now, what's the betting that one of them is that one? Lol
I guess that I've got to disable the automatic update feature now,...not sure how to do that to be honest.

#18 ·
KB3035583 is the only one I've uninstalled and hidden (three times now!) and have had no other issues (Windows 8.1 and Windows 7). Probably I have been fortunate in catching the thing before it has started doing any more than a popup nag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.