Free ZIP program wanted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnni

Please, can anybody recommend a program to create and open .zip files. I am using XP Pro but I haven't been able to locate where it is; or is there a better free program.

johnni

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
XP has that capability builtin to it.

But if you want a good free program, give Izarc a try.

The advantage to the "suites" is that you can use one app for all the different archive types instead of having different ones for each.

y'all left out 7zip which is not part of Vista
it's open source, safe and unpacks pretty much any archiving format
if you are into game modding a lot of communities seem to be preferring the 7zip format for uploading their mods and other than izarc I'm not sure any others handle it

7-zip is one of the best and the one I use most often (along with Squeez. .sqx, which gives even better compression). Both give better compression than most other formats without slowing the process to a crawl.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
I can't let this thread go without my own personal favorite to use for unzipping and archiving...it's not as fully featured as some, but very good, small, and user friendly for those just starting out

Zip Central

Homepage of Zip Central

johnni

Thanks for all the replies.

I might try Zip Central but is seems a liitle old, although it apparently works with XP, but I have just installed TugZip, for no particular reason, and it seems to work OK; I am trying to find out how to reduce the number of options when right-clicking on a file as there seems to be too many - 7z, cab, lzh, spc - I just want the .zip one.

I am still mystified how to find/use the built-in XP program which I cannot find anywhere.

johnni

To unzip a file with XP, right-click on a .zip file > extract all.

To zip a file right-click > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online