1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sedhadi, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sedhadi

Sedhadi Thread Starter

Hey

Yesterday, I was working with my PC while my 1TB Seagate external hard (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000101/dp/B0045JLPMO) was plugged in via USB. The USB connection was a little bit loose.

Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in, I noticed that the external hard was disconnected.
    I connected it again, but it didn't appear in My Computer.
    Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I plugged out the "SATA to USB converter" from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case (like internal HDD), but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management, Device Manager and BIOS. However, it took a long time for the system to boot.
    [​IMG]

I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (It didn't appear in Minitool Partion Wizad).

I've got a lot of data on this HDD which really matters to me. :(
    Any help is really appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all, do you have a current backup of anything important?

Next from the pics, it does not look like you pulled the drive out of the enclosure. Did you fully remove the drive and connect the bare drive as an internal drive?

3. Sedhadi

Sedhadi Thread Starter

I don't have backup.

There's no need to pull the hard completely out of the housing. I connected the power and SATA cable as other internal hards.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, there is a need to pull it out of the housing.

As for not having a backup, that somewhat limits your options at this point.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Pull the drive out of the housing
    2 Connect it to a working system however boot the system with a linux live usb. I use parted magic linux for this task. It is excellent for file rescue, etc.
    3 If the drive is not found by linux, then your only option is to send it to a shop that does data recovery. This is NOT cheap. Prices where I live start at $125 or so plus the media to recover your files and it goes WAY up from there. If you go this route, get an estimate as to cost. It is not uncommon for people to spend $500 or more to recover data.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is why we stress backups so much.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data.

6. Sedhadi

Sedhadi Thread Starter

I've done this before (connecting the HDD as an internal hard drive) without removing the housing. I can't understand what difference it makes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice