1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"freedownloadscentre"

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Brynn, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

Every time I atempt to download I get redirected to something called 'Freedownloadscentre' and then my download is stopped due to an error message that says "Windows socket error: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (10061), on API". It does not matter where I am downloading from or what I am downloading I get that message every time. I have searched my PC to atempt to find this "freedownloadscentre" and remove it but it must be called something else as I cannot find it.

Can anyone shred any light on this on how to get rid of it from my PC and hopefully stop it from returning again as I have not requested it and do not want it.

Many thanks.

Brynn-Dafydd

2. mobo

mobo

Download hijack this , unzip it and do a scan. Then save the log , copy and paste it here.

3. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

Hiya,

have tried as recomended downloading the file but unfortunatly as always "Freedownloadscentre" kicks in and puts a stop to the download :( this is driving me mad now

Brynn-Dafydd

4. mobo

mobo

Do you have spybot or adaware installed by any chance ?

5. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

Hi again,
    have done a seaech for them and also anything to do with spyware in general and the search found nothing.

Brynn-Dafydd

6. mobo

mobo

you obviously have something hijacking you browser. Go to tools internet options and delete all temp files as well as offline content and cookies. Next go to add/remove programs and see if there is something listed that you didn't download or looks suspicious.

7. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. Will try what you recomened and see what happens. Is there a way of getting to browser settings and looking to see what is there that may have caused the hyjack?

Brynn-Dafydd

8. mobo

mobo

simple spyware that you are able to get without the proper software.

9. mobo

mobo

Also right click on the taskbar and see if there is anything you don't recognize. If so end task it and try the download again for hijackthis.

10. mobo

mobo

Also if you have access to another pc you candownload hjt there and copy the zip file to a floppy and unzip it onto the broken pc to run it.

11. mobo

mobo

You may also try an online spyware scan here .

12. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

Hi,
    have done what you recomended and the folders are now empty. I have been doing a search with the help of google after running a program I have called "EndItAll" after noticing some progams I did not understand. The main one is called "rb32.exe" and seems to be a hijacker of some description. Any light on this?

13. mobo

mobo

..rapid Blaster ...Run this please.

14. Brynn

Brynn Thread Starter

can't run any programs as freedownloadscentre pops up everytime I try to save a file/program or open it . Is there any other way to find and delete this file without downloading a file/program or opening a file/program that I do not already have?

15. mobo

mobo

Do a search for it form start, search and if you find it try deleting it. You may have to end task it as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice