Freeing up Hard Drive Space...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MasquesGuy

Hey all, another question if I may. Does anyone have any good ways to free up hard drive space? I'm kind of pressed for space, I'm going under the 1 GB level and would really like to clear some space... any ideas?

P.S. - I don't know if this is the right forum so please bear with me...

Run disk cleanup and check all of the boxes.
If you have have XP delete the restore points.
Then defrag the HD

I just did my computer cleaning today! I can tell you what I did.

1. I went to the My Documents Folder, and deleted unnecessary files
  2. I ran EasyCleaner. (you can find it on Google)
  3. I defragged the HD, and did ScanDisk
  4. I restarted my computer.
  5. (optional) Since this is no longer a shared computer, I deleted the profiles in C:\WINDOWS\Profiles.
  6. I ran SpyBot S&D and found some stuff which was deleted.

That cleared up 1GB of space! :)

Hope that helps.

Triple6

Rob
Not to mention going to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling any old and unused programs that you don't use.

Crap Cleaner is also a good program to run: http://www.ccleaner.com/

To clean up old System Restore Points go to Disk Cleanup under Accessories -> System Tools. Then choose the drive and then select More Options and then click on the 'Clean Up' button in the System Restore.

And if all else fails then you can buy a bigger hard drive.

under your windows folder there are hidden folders with names like $NtUninstallKB890859$
They are for uninstalling windows updates - one of them was for sp2 and i think it was something over 200 mb.
I deleted the oldest ones- figuring since everything has been running fine i probably will never need to uninstall the older updates

but of course delete with caution :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online