1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeserve Anytime. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by stevedann, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

What is everyone's experience of Freeserve Anytime (in the UK). I've been using it for a few months but recently its become more and more difficult to get a connection, it might take 20 - 40 minutes at times. Once connected the speed is very low. If I dial the Freeserve pay by the minute connection however, everything is fine, which makes me think that all the bandwidth is being given to the pay per minute user. Freeserve blame the problem on the bandwidth on the BT phone line but that doesn't explain why one connection is bad and the other good ... does it? Freeserve gave me another number to dial in to. To start with it was as bad as the first one but for the last couple of evenings its been very good. I'm just concerned that the service on the new number may deteriorate as well. If anyone has any idea of what's going on I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Thanks.

2. CHUNKYLAD

CHUNKYLAD

hi
    i was on freeserve anytime i found it very poor
    i phoned up my telephone comp see what they offer i live in the midlands i was on cable anytime £10.00 per month extra line £10.00 per month(for a extra £5 you can get broadband i go on wednesday)i know bt offer same deal
    my advice PAY THE EXTRA GET BROADBAND
    hope this helps?

3. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

Could you please tell me the number you dial?

I dial 08089916001

I find this fast during the day when it is a peak rate but at around 6:00pm (offPeak), it detorates rapidly and because it has call waiting if i get kicked off it takes a while to get back on.

What number did you ring?

4. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, that number might be useful in the future. The number that became very poor was 0808 9977001. I'm now using 0808 9933006 which in fairness is very good at the moment.

5. wen

wen

i'm another freeserve anytime sucker.

used to be on off-peak but when they put the charge up it was just as cheap to go anytime.

have started having connection probs lately, speed is fair to middling, i complained to freeserve and was given a set of numbers:
    or

chunkylad i too am in the midlands and suppose like you could go for broadband with telewest, but the company is pants and it would stick in my teeth to give them money.
    by the way is it still ten weeks wait for telewest? is it worth the wait, plus i'd have to change to cable phone.
    no thanks i'll stick to what i've got.

wen

6. Peaker

Peaker

Hi,

I'm still on offpeak and find it v.good. My connection's fast and stable. I have no idea why anytime should be experiencing such problems. I am however upgarding to BT Broadband and my recommendation to you is to do the same.

Thanks, and happy more successfull surfing in the future,

Grant.

7. CHUNKYLAD

CHUNKYLAD

wendy
    i agree about telewest used to have the lot phone/tv/internet had major problems with phone/tv which i got rid of but as for the internet had no problems and i hope moving to broadband will not create any?but after i been on freeserve/telewest
    telewest is 10 times better and they seem to have got there act together

8. wen

wen

ow bin ya?

wahey! a blackcountry mon.

wen

9. john1

john1

Hi,

I'm on Freeserve.
    on the off-peak.
    i'm not happy about the recent price hike.
    but i couldn't find any free ISPs
    that also use BT Surftime.
    So i had to bite the bullet and pay the fee.

Just in case its of any help, here's a list
    i made earlier. In the original the two columns
    line up, but ive noticed that they may not come
    out lined up, so i'll probably edit it a bit.
    Here is a list of ISPs participating in BT 'Surftime'
    Quite a few seem to have dissapeared.
    Some may no longer be providers.

Aladdins Cave (AIH)..............................................Server unreachable
    Altohiway...............................................................Server unreachable
    Asian Biz (AIH)........................................................I think they're gone
    Aviators Network...................................................Server unreachable
    Bio Synergy (AIH)..................................................Server unreachable
    Black Britain (AIH).........................................Hard to tell if they charge
    BT openworld................................................Hard to tell if they charge
    Calico UK...............................................................I think they're gone
    Chalkface (AIH)........................Check ...... Maybe NUT members only
    Chat n Surf (AIH)...................................................Server unreachable
    Cloud Nine Internet.............For Evening and Weekends (From £6 pm)
    Compass Magazine (AIH)......................................Server unreachable
    Cornwall College (AIH)............................................I think they're gone
    Datanet.........................................................Hard to tell if they charge
    Demon.....................................Demon Premier Connect £11.75 p/mth
    Dirtbiker (AIH).........................................................I think they're gone
    Eclipse Internet.................................................Hard to tell if its an ISP
    Flexnet (AIH)..............(not uk based?)...........................$9.95 a month
    FLYER Internet.......................................................I think they're gone
    Free and Edie (AIH)................................................I think they're gone
    Freedom255...........................................................I think they're gone
    Freeserve................................................(Eves&W/ends) £5.99/mth
    Houxou.com...........................................................I think they're gone
    ICL Way (AIH)........................................................I think they're gone
    Intensive Networks Ltd...........................................I think they're gone
    KeConnect Internet.................................(Eves&W/ends) £4.99/mth
    Kernowserve..........................................................I think they're gone
    Lancaster University Alumni (AIH)...........................I think they're gone
    Leeds University Alumni (AIH).................................I think they're gone
    LineOne t.a. Tiscali Off Peak..............(Eves&W/ends) £9.99/mth
    Macace..................................................................I think they're gone
    NetMatters (AIH)......................................................Email enquiry sent
    Nildram...................................................(Eves&W/ends) £10.00/mth
    Poptel.......................................................................Email enquiry sent
    Plymouth Online (AIH).............................................I think they're gone
    Pride Park (AIH)......................................................I think they're gone
    Steel Web (AIH).......................................................Email enquiry sent
    TCP Ltd.................................................................................unknown
    Wyenet...................................................................I think they're gone
    Yesmate (AIH)........................................................I think they're gone
    Zetnet ServicesLtd.......................................Surftime Accounts £50pa

If anyone could fill in some of the blanks or unknowns,
    that would be helpfull.
    The only one that seems to be a freebie is Chalkface
    however, i think that might be 'teachers only'
    I dont know cos i haven't tried, i didnt even know it
    was aimed at teachers til i visited it.
    I suppose the name should have given it away.

The cheapest i could find is KeConnect.

John

10. CHUNKYLAD

CHUNKYLAD

thats right wendi
    blackcountry and proud
    moved to b/band well pleased getting d/l times 55.00kb on morpheus web pages load in no time

11. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

grrrrrrrrrrrr

/me is jealous

I can't get broadband but hopefully telewest or ntl are moving into our area soon, does anyone know hoe i can find out how soon???

12. komputerman

komputerman

Try ringing NTL on 0800 068 1400 and ask them.The line is manned from 8.00 a.m. until 8.00 p.m. Monday/Saturday and 9.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m. on Sundays.

13. skip113

skip113

just to put the cat among the pigons I am on freeserve anytime and live in the north east. I am getting 52.0kb everytime I connect.

14. wen

wen

only 45.333 kb, might have the phone line volume turned up to see if that helps.:D

wen

15. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

i'm connected at 52 at the mo!!!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice