1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeware CD ripper app

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by physician, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. physician

physician Thread Starter

Anyone have a suggestion for a ripper program that they use and like. I am looking for one. Thanks...doc

2. beefy

beefy

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ps lots of free programs (open source too) can be found at sourceforge. look around in the catagories.

4. JayT

JayT

There is a good CD ripper (called appropriately enough FreeRip) because it is free. It can be found here:

http://www.mgshareware.com/

I just downloaded the updated version. I found upon beginning install that it includes a search bar (which I assume is probably spyware). You have the option not to install it during the installation process. Your call.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

it probably still will install some kind of spyware appropriately found in shareware programs which are not freeware. Shareware either wants you to register or has spyware. Freeware may still have spyware but less do than shareware, but the freeware doesnt nag about registration.

IMO just use opensource programs from sourceforge.

6. physician

physician Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the leads...doc

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I haven't used it yet but media player 10 will rip tunes. I am going to have to check that out. I have it on my machine.

8. physician

physician Thread Starter

I d/l both apps. I tried the cdex first - struggled with it at first. Then tried the freerip. it was easier intuitively, but then i went back to the cdex and it was pretty easy too. Best of all, both do the online search for the names of the songs - for free. Be careful - the free rip wants to put the my search tool bar on your computer. I said no, just like the commercials on TV - just say no...doc

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah no malware its bad. basically if all you want is to rip tunes, use windows media player or realplayer. if you want to rip other stuf ;) ;) than use an appropriate tool.

10. physician

physician Thread Starter

Honestly, i dont like real player. years ago i d/l the real player free version and when it expired I got no warning. it turned my cd player off and for months i thought i had a cd problem. then one day, i tried to run the realplayer and it said it expired. i uninstalled it and my cd started working fine. ever since then, i have not used realplayer...doc

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well now they have realone and its integrated jukebox and media center - a really nice media player IMO. on their website it will say download realplayer plus 14 day trial and you dont click that. you click "click here to download the basic player." during setup select to for the free trial and boom! you have one of the best media players out there.

12. eightup1

eightup1

is realplayer still collecting and distributing all of its users information ...as it always did in the past ?

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

possibly. i use peerguardian so it cant connect. i also have it blocked in sygate.

14. JayT

JayT

I did the same thing--unchecked the box to install the search bar. I have found FreeRip to be a very good and reliable tool. Neither Ad-Aware not Spybot has picked up any activity since installing it--so, I would assume it is spyware free.

15. ohheck

ohheck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice