1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeware Prog. to copy text to Word2000

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gary R, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Looking for a (easy to use, hopefully) program where I can scan text such a letter, or something from a magazine to Word2000 or WordPad and save it as a .doc (or .txt) file.

Scanner is a CanoScan N670U (Using USB)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need an OCR application (Optical Character Recognition)

SimpleOCR is the best I know of.

http://www.simpleocr.com/

Be aware that this method is less than perfect though, with any OCR software and scanner you could actually afford. Unless the input document has good sized clean clear text, many errors in translation occur.

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

I have the "OmniPage 9.0" OCR Reader program that came on the CD with the scanner long ago, but was never able to figure out how the darn thing worked where I could make anything look decent :mad: , so gave up.
    Wouldn't need a program for pictures, just text to computer as a .txt. or doc file to save or print.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is likely that the supplied Omnipage application could be as good as you will get.

When you think about what it has to do (try and "recognise" text in what is essentially a photographic image) then you will see that its far from an exact science. Usually its quicker to type it in unless the original is crisp, clean and largish font.

Commercial users that depend on it normally use a drum scanner and expensive software. Think US$50,000 to kit out for it.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I have found FineReader to be the easiest and best one to use.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

If you don't need to edit it why not just scan it as if it were an image and save it or print it?

buck

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice