1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeze After Installing New Hard Disk in Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sdavies2720, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdavies2720

sdavies2720 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS410 desktop that got a virus. I was having trouble cleaning it, and I'd been planning to put in a new hard drive anyway, so I got a new Seagate 3500320AS (500 gig, SATA).

I took out the old (infected) drive and put in the new drive, but it kept freezing during Windows XP installation using the Dell reinstall disks (Windows XP Home, SP 2).

Not being sure what was going on, and worried about the virus, I had a friend (on a different system) partition the drive and install XP Professional SP2, which he did without problems.

Putting the drive back into the Dell, it started to boot, but never finished. It would either hang or take me back to setup.

Here's what I tried and results:

* Found new BIOS for the XPS on the dell site, flashed the BIOS (no effect).
    * Took out memory boards (4) one at a time and rebooted to see if one of them was bad
    * Changed the SATA Controller from the DELL default of "RAID ON" to "RAID AUTODETECT / ATA." With this change the system boots, but hangs during operation (anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes or more into a session).
    * Tried to reinstall Windows, but the seagate instructions say to hit F6 to load drivers. WHen I do that, the Dell installer will only look to drive A (my floppy) for drivers. I cannot find anywhere to download or extract driver files to put them on a 3.5 floppy.

I'm stuck, and frustrated, so I welcome ideas how to get this system back up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice