1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeze at Login with HDD noises, chkdsk comes up fine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyperbole, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperbole

hyperbole Thread Starter

Hi TSG!

Having a terrible week with tech, my laptop hdd packed in and now my desktop (while I was updating firmware on my ipod so thats borked too). My issue is with my desktop.

I think a capacitor in my PSU broke quite a while ago, it's been making a high pitched whine (this may be the cause of my problems?). While running fine (on xp at the time), the computer slowed down to an absolute halt, with the hard drive making regular thud noises every few seconds. Then it failed to boot. I decided it was a hard drive issue and got a new one. Now the same thing happened again! Suddenly everything got very slow, the cursor froze. Did a hard reboot and now I get to the login screen, upon entering the password it freezes again, with the same hard drive noise from before. I managed to get into safe mode, and schedule a chkdsk, which doesn't show any errors. I don't seem to be able to get into safemode anymore.

Does a clean chkdsk mean the drive is intact? I'm definitely going to buy a new power supply, but will I need a new HDD too, and possibly a new motherboard?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. pip22

pip22

chkdsk only checks for (and fixes) any file system errors. It doesn't check for wear-and-tear physical/mechanical damage to the drive or it's controller, that's a job for the manufacturer's own diagnostic software which can be run from a bootable CD. So even if the PC won't boot from the hard drive, or Windows won't start, you can still test the drive for imminent failure.
    Appropriate links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Whichever brand of diagnostic software you download to match the brand of drive you want to test, make sure you download only the 'DOS' version of it. The Windows version will be useless to you if Windows won't run.

3. Chris A

Chris A

Time to open it up and check your fans and heatsinks to see if any have fallen off or not working. A overheating CPU will slow it down like that too.

If you feel comfortable doing that I some times forget that not every one likes opening these up. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice