1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeze durring win xp installation reboot.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stuart.l, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuart.l

stuart.l Thread Starter

Hi all.
    I recently bought a new hdd: a 160 gb Western Digital "scorpio" because my current hard drive: a 60 gb toshiba is just too small for all the programs, media etc. i have
    I installed the new WD hard drive and attempted to install windows xp home (2002) distributed with my MDG desktop
    All goes fine with the installation, partitioning, formatting etc. until after files for the setup are copied to the hard drive and installation requires a reboot. In the gray stripe at the bottom it says "Windows Rebooting" except seems to freeze there. I have tried leaving it for over an hour and it will not reboot or proceed past that stage.
    Any suggestions?

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello, did this happen once or more than once?

3. stuart.l

stuart.l Thread Starter

it has happened atleast 4 times so far

4. caperjack

caperjack

the MDG cd is it full winxp version or is it a MDG restore disk ,was there a partition on the old drive that maybe the MDG disk is looking for for help in intalling windows

5. shinybeast

shinybeast

More questions:
    Have you ever used that disc to re-install on the 60gb drive in the past, and if so was it successful?
    Have you done a quick format on all of your attempts thus far?

6. stuart.l

stuart.l Thread Starter

1) i havent tried to re-install on my 60 gb and i especially dont now cuz im using that atm to access internet for answers and dont want to loose that ability
    2) i hav done 2 quicks and 2 normal

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

I asked because the disc might have problems. I wanted to know if you've ever used it successfully in the past.

8. stuart.l

stuart.l Thread Starter

oh i see
    i am thinking of trying to get another xp disc from a friend and see if that works but upon further thought i had used it on another computer (desktop) to do a re-install and it worked perfectly fine but never for a fresh installation of a brand new hard drive

9. shinybeast

shinybeast

Well, using another disc and installing would narrow things down a bit. If it works, then the OEM disc is suspect. If it doesn't work then I might be stumped. So, I assume you have both the 60GB and 160GB installed in same computer? If so that would rule out a hardware issue, other than the drive itself and as it's new, that would be quite odd.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice