1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeze up/Too much in start menu

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Carobbean, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carobbean

Carobbean Thread Starter

I'm still having freezing problems!!..have checked other postings and see that I may also have too much in my start up but I am unsure as to what it is safe to " uncheck"...could someone please advise? ALso, by "unchecking" an item I am not uninstalling it, right? Just not having it run on startup. Thanks....my next step will be to download ad-aware!..also..fyi I do Norton Liveupdate every day and forgot to mention am running WINME..

Heres what is in my startup

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    AlogServEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\alogserv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AMD-SIR c:\ati\gart\amd-sir.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Ati2cwxx ati2cwxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ATIPOLAB ati2evxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AtiPTA atiptaxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AvconsoleEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\avconsol.exe /minimize All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BaySwap c:\program files\phoenix technologies\bayswap\bayswap.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BaySwap2 c:\program files\phoenix technologies\bayswap\tbupdate.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CPQEASYACC c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\cpqeadm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CPQInet c:\compaq\cpqinet\cpqinet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    EACLEAN c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\eaclean.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    McAfeeWebScanX c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\webscanx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    McAfeeWebScanX c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\webscanx.exe /runservices All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\workss~1\wkcalrem.exe .DEFAULT Startup
    MiniLog c:\windows\system\zonelabs\minilog.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    MSConfigReminder c:\windows\system\msconfig.exe /reminder All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~1\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    OEMCLEANUP c:\windows\options\oemreset.exe /o All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PRPCMonitor prpcui.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Service Connection c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SynTPLpr c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntplpr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TrueVector c:\windows\system\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    VsecomrEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vsecomr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Vshwin32EXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vshwin32.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Vshwin32EXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vshwin32.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    VsStatEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vsstat.exe /showwarning All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    ZoneAlarm c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zoneal~1.exe -nopopup All Users Common Startup

2. ratchet

ratchet

3. beach51

beach51

Hi carobbean,Follow ratchet's advice on that link she posted.You also have 2 anti virus programs.You should delete one of them because it will probably cause a conflict.

4. Carobbean

Carobbean Thread Starter

Thanks gang, I'm in the process of wading thru pac-portal info. Yes, I actually have Macafee ( came with the PC) , Norton and Zonealarm running...a bit of overkill??? What should I remove??
    Many thanks for the speedy replies!

5. beach51

beach51

Hi carobbean,i have Norton and zone alarm.Its up to you which one you keep.But keep zone alarm.:D Just make sure you follow the uninstalling procedure for whichever one you decide to uninstall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice