1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freeze with ATAPI and CdRom errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medusawho, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medusawho

medusawho Thread Starter

This is the condensed verison-- Cd burner was no longer recognizing any media inserted, thought it was bad so we purchased a dvd burner. My computer has been randomly and intermittently freezing since dvd burner installed. I've been getting these errors in my event viewer which correspond to when the computer freezes up:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: atapi
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 15
    Description:
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, is not ready for access yet.

and:

Event Source: Cdrom
    Event ID: 11
    Description:
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

Im also curious if these errors which occur on occasion are significant:

Event Source: atapi
    Event ID: 9
    (IDE port 1 did not respond within the timeout period)

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: W32Time
    Event ID: 36
    (system clock is unsyncronized)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I have been searching online and haven't found an answer, though I have seen this problem posted before with no one answering. :confused:

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Did you remove the cd burner and replace with the DVD burner? or did you simply add the dvd burner with the cd burner still there?

What does it say in Device Manager about your drives?
    Right click my computer => properties => hardware tab => device manager button

Make sure master/slave jumpers are set correctly and that the IDE cables are well secured.

If both cd drives are installed, try putting them on seperate controllers (assuming they're attached to the same IDE cable)

You can also try updating the firmware for your cd drives.

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. medusawho

medusawho Thread Starter

The CD burner was uninstalled, then removed. SP2 was installed shortly b4 installing the new DVD burner. After sp2 and the new burner were installed things went ok for a day or two. We are able to burn cd's and divx's, haven't tried dvd's. The comp. started freezing, so I assumed it was sp2, and uninstalled it. Since that time I learned about the event viewer and was able to see what was going on when my computer freezes up. It seems to be totally random and error messages have occured when no one is using it. The device manager recognizes our new burner, which is set to master, and our old dvd rom drive, which is set to slave. In fact, we returned another dvd burner because of this. I had been reading alot online about people having trouble with the drive we had returned. Hoped that was the case, but the new drive (different brand) is causing the same errors. We even uninstalled the first dvd burner for a few days. The freezing stopped, but it is random and intermittent so I can just assume that with the drive removed the problem went away. I didn't see updated firmware on Lite-on's site for our new drive. I will have to check on our original dvd rom drive. We even replaced the ribbon cable, because an earlier error message indicated that the cable could be failing. Does any of this make sense???

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds tough, unfortunately uninstalling sp2 seldom leaves the computer as it was before you updated.

In Device Manager-> IDE, is DMA enabled for the opticals?

From the errors you posted it might be a problem with your IDE channels. You might try uninstalling the channel your burner is on from Device Manger, then when you re-boot XP should re-install it.

6. medusawho

medusawho Thread Starter

DMA is enabled. I'll try your suggestion to uninstall the ide channel my burner is on and reboot.

I've uninstalled and rebooted okay, now unfortunately it is a wait and see game. I've had it on for 6 hours today and so far it has behaved. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

7. medusawho

medusawho Thread Starter

Well, things were okay for a few days. Last night Nero locked up at the end of creating a music cd. Luckily the disc did complete. Today I thought I would try to install (after uninstalling my prior nero) the version of Nero that came with the drive. Earlier I listened to two music cd's in it without any trouble. When I tried to install Nero, the drive kept making noise like it was trying to do something, but never did! Eventually I put it in my slave dvd-rom drive and installed it. That locked up at the end of installation. :mad: It appears to have installed though I haven't tried burning anything.

Sony support suggested doing a recovery of my c drive. Can anyone think of any other options?

I did have some different errors in event viewer-

Atapi event 9 (did not respond within the timeout period)
    CdRom event 7 (device has a bad block) and 51 (error detected during paging operation)

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!