1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freeze

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mls1282, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

OK, I bought this computer less than 2 months ago, and it is already freezing up! It has a K7S5A motherboard with a 1.4 ghz t-bird with 512 mb pc133. I don't have many programs running on it, so I am suspecting a heat problem. How would I install a quality cooling fan if that was the case. Are there any alternatives to getting another fan? Here are the programs running as well as the specs:

AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    512MB RAM
    68% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (29562MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 29562MB of 38921MB (FAT32)

Kernel32.dll 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Win32 Kernel core component C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel32.dll 4.3 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    MSGSRV32.EXE 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Spool32.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Spooler Sub System Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Spool32.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Mprexe.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation WIN32 Network Interface Service Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mprexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    MMTASK.TSK 4.03.1998 Microsoft Corporation Multimedia background task support module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK 4.0 Microsoft Windows
    Mstask.exe 4.71.2721.1 Microsoft Corporation Task Scheduler Engine C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mstask.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Task Scheduler
    Vsmon.exe 2.6.357 Zone Labs Inc. TrueVector Service C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\Vsmon.exe 4.0 TrueVector Service
    Minilog.exe 2.6.357 Zone Labs Inc. TrueVector Basic Alert Logger C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\Minilog.exe 4.0 ZoneAlarm
    Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1 Microsoft Corporation Windows Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Taskmon.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Task Monitor C:\WINDOWS\Taskmon.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Systray.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation System Tray Applet C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Systray.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Rambooster.exe C:\MY DOWNLOAD FILES\Rambooster.exe 4.0
    Zapro.exe 2.6.357 Zone Labs Inc. ZoneAlarm Pro C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\Zapro.exe 4.0 ZoneAlarm Pro
    Wmiexe.exe 5.00.1755.1 Microsoft Corporation WMI service exe housing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Wmiexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Iexplore.exe 5.50.4134.600 Microsoft Corporation Internet Explorer C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\Iexplore.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System
    Ddhelp.exe 4.08.01.0881 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft DirectX Helper C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Ddhelp.exe 4.0 Microsoft® DirectX for Windows® 95 and 98
    Iexplore.exe 5.50.4134.600 Microsoft Corporation Internet Explorer C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\Iexplore.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System
    Winamp.exe 2.77 Nullsoft Winamp C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\Winamp.exe 4.0 Winamp
    Msinfo32.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation MSInfo32 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\MSINFO\Msinfo32.exe 4.0 Microsoft System Information

Thanks for any help in advance!!

2. brianF

brianF

heard this was a good unit for tbirds
    comes with instructions for mounting, the 5000 unit
    http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/38/cat38.htm?842

You may want to go with some more case fans or a twin turbo if you have a 5 1/4 drive bay open, I really like them
    check it out here under exhaust fans
    http://www.3dcool.com/

Also have your tried motherboard monitor to see if it will monitor temps on your computer, it may, good way to see what temps it's running at

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

And if all else fails pull the cover, direct a large fan blowing into the case and see if it helps, easy way to see if it is a heat problem.

Beware small children and animals with the cover removed

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This is a "legitimate" but oddball windows file, the purpose of which I don't really know. But it does not belong in your startup configuration. A few others have had problems with it being there as well. Here is one:

http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/mxcl/tweaks/wmiexe.php

4. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

My computer also freezes whenever I run an application like Morpheus or Gens or when I burn a cd. I have Rambooster running, so could it be a problem with my RAM or anything else?

5. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

I think that a program that I run is causing the crash but I am not sure. I run a game emulator called Gens, and sometimes when I run that the computer will make a sound and just stop responding to everything. This also happens with other programs but I don't know what the cause might be...

6. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Hello guys,

I have determined it isn't a heat problem...My computer has been freezing more and more lately...What actions should I take?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

From your running tasks I deduce you are running Win98 not WinME, so let's take the necessary steps to disable wmiexe.exe

Go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

cd system
    ren wmiexe.exe wmiexe.bak

exit
    (or ctrl-alt-del) to restart Windows.

Additionally I would recommend you disable Rambooster.

If you continue to have problems after this, I would look in to the Video adapter as a possible source of problems. You may need updated drivers. You can try a workaround by reducing hardware acceleration a notch in system properties>performance>graphics

8. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

I downloaded the latest drivers and there don't seem to be any freezing problems so far, but I have no sound...How would I fix this???

9. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Nevermind...I fixed the problem...

10. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Spoke too soon...still freezing up...Does the GeForce 256 have a history of freezing up if too many applications are running? If so, what would be my best bet in buying another video card? By the way, I tried getting rid of wmiexe.exe through ms-dos mode but it gave me the 'bad file or command name' deal, so should i just try and delete through windows explorer?

11. beach51

beach51

Hi mls,i was having freezing problems a few weeks ago and the culprit was zone alarm.Try this,go to start>run>type in msconfig>click on startup tab,these are the programs that run ever time you bootup.remove the check marks for zone alarm,click apply then ok.Reboot.If thats stops the freezing,what i did was uninstall zone alarm,and then reinstalled.Havent had any freeze problems since.If that doesnt work,try removeing everything in the startup except scan registry and system tray,then put them back one at a time until you find the program that is causeing the problem.

Let us know if this helps.

12. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Help!! I cannot connect to the my network, or run any major applications. My computer keeps starting up in safe mode but without the safe mode at the bottom. I can't set my monitor to any setting or do anything. Hep me out please...

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the computer begins booting. You should get a "startup menu". Select the "command prompt" option. At the c:\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started registry dated prior to the latest problems. Do not select the oldest, or 5th, as it will fail.

14. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

When I try to remove the other programs associated with zone alarm, (TrueVector and MiniLog)I can't connect to the internet. I haven't had any freezes lately, but I will keep you posted.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice