1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezes after XP bootup logo

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jclfc, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jclfc

jclfc Thread Starter

After working perfectly fine, my computer suddenly decided to start 'freezing'/'hanging' after displaying the XP logo in startup.
    However, for some reason I can boot into safe mode and operate the system fine from there.

I have run msconfig and changed the startup settings so nothing loads but it still doesn't work. I have ran chkdsk and a couple of anti-virus progs but still nothing. System Restore doesn't work either.

The hard disk is only two months old and, like I said, I've had no problems prior to today.

Any ideas?

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > copy and paste some of the recent errors[Red]

==========================================================

Boot into recovery console . At the prompt type :

attrib -r -s -h c:\boot.ini
    del c:\boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild
    -at the first prompt press "y" enter
    -at the second prompt type what you want to name your windows installation (anything you want)
    -at the third prompt type /fastdetect
    chkdsk /r
    fixboot
    -at the prompt press y
    fixmbr
    -at the prompt press y

3. jclfc

jclfc Thread Starter

When I access the Recovery Console it just hangs after I choose the Windows Installation.

So I tried a repair install but the problems continue.

I really don't want to loose all my data by doing a format.

Could this perhaps be related to my motherboard, which is roughly four/five years old?

EDIT - Someone on another forum has told me to try and reset the CMOS?

4. jclfc

jclfc Thread Starter

Here's the latest -

Currently I can't even access safe mode now because it says 'Setup cannot complete in Safe Mode'. The repair install has only made the problem worse because of this.

I am trying the Recovery Console again. I selected the installation I wanted to logo onto by pressing '1' just under 15 minutes ago and nothing has happened.

Is this normal? How long should I wait?

5. jclfc

jclfc Thread Starter

Here is the latest guys. I think I may have stumbled upon the root of the problem...

After leaving it on RC for over an hour, I turned the computer on and off again and, to my surprise, the Win XP installation came up and loaded successfully. Once things were set up, I changed my resolution back to 1024 x 768, logged onto msconfig and enabled all my startup items and plugged in my USB modem.

Anyway, I tried to restart and the same problem returned. It hung on a black screen after the XP startup logo.

So, I went into Safe Mode and undid everything I had just done, changed the resolution to 800 x 600 and unplugged the modem...

Restarted into normal mode - my res is 1024 x 768 and startup progs were running.

Upon trying to reinstall my internet software, including USB hub, I noticed that the computer hangs after the XP logo when booting up if there is a USB device plugged into the computer. If there is no device plugged in, the computer loads normally although it is slugglish in loading the login screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After further investigation the problems appears to lie with the modem and the modem alone.

I plugged my phone and camera into the USB ports and the computer booted up fine. The phone even began to charge during boot. However, when I plugged the modem in the same problem occured, I met the black screen and, for what it's worth, the phone didn't begin to charge.

If it's of any relevance, my modem is the BT HOME HUB and I haven't had any trouble with it until now.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice