freezes at format

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

keebs

Specs-
Amd Athlon 64 3800+
MSI K8NGM2-L Mobo
512MB PC3200 400mhz
WD1600JS 160GB SATAII HD

This is a new hard drive and when i try to format it freezes at 43 everytime i have no clue why its def not the hard drive does anyone have a clue?

Are you formatting it with XP cd? If so there are 3 things to watch for.
Cd is clean and unscratched, cd drive is clean and working and remember it can work perfectly on everything until an XP cd gets put in it, and then forgetaboutit. And finally ram and you might want to run memtest on the ram to be sure it is ok.
I guess the last thing is the drive is defective.
http://www.memtest.org/

keebs

well it cant be none of that because i had windows running before because i choose the quick format option and everything went well, than 2 weeks later everything started crapping out for example i coudent open any pictures and when i went through my computer it would always say windows explorer had a problem so i decided to fully format the hard drive but it freezes at 39 im very frustrated can anyone help???? :confused:

Why do you say it is not the hard drive?

What are you using to format it with?

It is almost surely the hard drive going south . . you can download diagnostics from the manufacturer to rule that out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online