1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezes, screen whiteouts: Hard disc problem?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Axewalek, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axewalek

Axewalek Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I'm new.

Anyway, the situation's this: I've got a one year plus oldish laptop (Alienware M15x), and have been running into some problems.

The first was a couple weeks back, when I played Dead Island. The screen would frequently have a problem when red specks would outline everything, and then go into total screen whiteout. I discovered I could fix the problem by pressing down on the bottom left side of my computer (roughly where the hard drive is. The GPU is in the top right. Or top left. Either way, wrong area for it to be a GPU problem?). At the time, I didn't have any issues with other games at all.

Then, more recently (past two days), my computer has been freezing up completely whenever I play any games. A few minutes in, and the computer freezes completely. No recourse but to press the power button 'til it shuts down. I did some diagnosis, and called into Dell tech support. They said it was a hard drive error, based on the computer self diagnosis.

Now, here's the odd thing: my computer works perfectly fine for surfing the net and even memory and processor intensive stuff (I tested this rather amateurishly by playing a flsh tower defense game. I was bored and frustrated.) But any standalone or Steam game, and it freezes up a few minutes in. Can't even get a minidump file, since it doesn't BSOD.

So, they're sending people down to replace the hard drive tomorrow.

Now, that there is a hard drive error, I don't doubt, but is it the only problem?

Further, I plan to do a system image, and then restore it over the new hard drive: Given that I seem to have problems already, do you think that's a good idea? Or is that likely to reintroduce whatever the problem is, and I should start again from scratch?

Thank you.

EDIT: I could've sworn I put my tech specs in here, but apparently not.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 4084 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 595440 MB, Free - 191591 MB;
    Motherboard: Alienware, , A08, .9R4KSM1. .
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice