1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezes Up Constantly-Works Only in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Treebrand, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

My computer has worked very well for years, but a short while ago it has developed this problem. It will freeze at anytime using any software (or none at all) while in normal mode. I ran all the usual checks and balances; virus, spyware, updates, etc. Also, I have researched the issue in this forum and followed the great advise. I have also run tests on the drives, memory, etc. but they all pass.

Next, I cloned a new drive, thinking that the old one may be failing (needed a larger HD anyway), but the same problem persisted.

I have run out of ideas.

My Computer:
    Older, no name system
    1.6 Ghz, 512mb, 80gb HD, XP Pro.
    Thanks in advance!

2. bogyi

bogyi

did you add any new hardware? or update any drivers? lately....

3. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

No hardware was installed and as far as updates go, I'm not sure. I have windows on automatic.

Thanks for the reply!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Safe Mode loads a bare minimum of basic drivers.
    Windows Update can download drivers if it's on Auto. so I suspect a driver has been updated and your PC doesn't like it !

Check in Device Manager (Start > Run type DEVMGMT.MSC press Enter) for any ! or ? signs, click on View > Show hidden devices so everything shows up (you don't need to search for ! or ? - if there are any they will show straight away)

Post back with the results and we'll go on.

P.S. Do you have a CD with drivers on that came with the PC ?

EDIT : Do the check in Normal mode, not Safe mode !

5. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

Can't check in normal mode, the computer froze at the XP screen.

As far as the software that came with it, I should have some of it...somewhere.

6. bogyi

bogyi

did you mean Windows XP and progress bar (loading...) screen?

7. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

Yes, the progress bar only goes a little ways before stopping.

8. bogyi

bogyi

try take all external usb connection (e.g. webcam, printer, scanner, or even mouse and keyboard).
    and try boot up and see it works. In that way we can make sure they are not giviging you this issue or not.
    PCI cards or extra video cards, if you have those, take them out and try boot up (do not take video card out if you only have one).
    Multiple hard drives, leave only bootup hard drive (Active HDD) connected in the system and try boot. (only if you have more than 1 HDD).

please post result.
    Good Luck!

9. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

I unplugged everything except the monitor, only one video card, and the ps/2 keyboard, but it froze up shortly after loading the desktop.

Thanks for staying with me on this.!

10. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

Any other thoughts on this? I am about ready to dump this pc.

11. bogyi

bogyi

sine you are thinking to dump this pc, why dont' you try reinstall windows from scratch.

best.

12. Treebrand

Treebrand Thread Starter

Well, I put the XP CD in and started the process of re-installing, but it locked up. It was loading it's files, but when it got to Starting Windows, it froze. I tried starting over and selecting F2, Automated Recovery, but it needs a Recovery Floppy (which I don't have and can't make one in Safe Mode).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice