Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezes Up Constantly-Works Only in Safe Mode

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Treebrand 
#1 ·
My computer has worked very well for years, but a short while ago it has developed this problem. It will freeze at anytime using any software (or none at all) while in normal mode. I ran all the usual checks and balances; virus, spyware, updates, etc. Also, I have researched the issue in this forum and followed the great advise. I have also run tests on the drives, memory, etc. but they all pass.

Next, I cloned a new drive, thinking that the old one may be failing (needed a larger HD anyway), but the same problem persisted.

I have run out of ideas.

My Computer:
Older, no name system
1.6 Ghz, 512mb, 80gb HD, XP Pro.
Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Safe Mode loads a bare minimum of basic drivers.
Windows Update can download drivers if it's on Auto. so I suspect a driver has been updated and your PC doesn't like it !

Check in Device Manager (Start > Run type DEVMGMT.MSC press Enter) for any ! or ? signs, click on View > Show hidden devices so everything shows up (you don't need to search for ! or ? - if there are any they will show straight away)

Post back with the results and we'll go on.

P.S. Do you have a CD with drivers on that came with the PC ?

EDIT : Do the check in Normal mode, not Safe mode !

#8 ·
try take all external usb connection (e.g. webcam, printer, scanner, or even mouse and keyboard).
and try boot up and see it works. In that way we can make sure they are not giviging you this issue or not.
PCI cards or extra video cards, if you have those, take them out and try boot up (do not take video card out if you only have one).
Multiple hard drives, leave only bootup hard drive (Active HDD) connected in the system and try boot. (only if you have more than 1 HDD).

please post result.
Good Luck!

#12 ·
Well, I put the XP CD in and started the process of re-installing, but it locked up. It was loading it's files, but when it got to Starting Windows, it froze. I tried starting over and selecting F2, Automated Recovery, but it needs a Recovery Floppy (which I don't have and can't make one in Safe Mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.