1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezeup on sending from C to A drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grandpaw7, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I hope you have a peaceful and pleasant Thanksgiving.

I want to move the data in My Documents on my C drive to a floppy. But when I highlight the data in My Documents, then go to File>Send>Floppy, a few of the documents get transferred and then my computer freezes up. I can't move the cursor and Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work. So I shut down using the Reset key on my computer. Any idea how I can correct this problem? Thanks, grandpaw

P.S. I have Windows 98SE and a 400MHz computer.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi Grandpaw

How much RAM do you have? Also how many things do you have running in the startup (background)?

Savvy :)

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Savvy. I have 64 RAM. I'm not sure how to determine what I have running at Startup. My System Tray shows only Internet Call Manager. But Ctrl-Alt-Del shows a number of others that I really don't need. So now I will close those and then see what happens. I'll report back. Blessings, grandpaw

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

P.S. I'll also delete cookies and temporaries and Recycle bin. I'll be back.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Grandpaw
    You could have other programs conflicting with the floppy write.
    Try end task all but explorer and systray in control, alt, del. then try. If no go then stop all utility type programs such as you antivirus, Norton products like system doctor and so on then try.
    Is this a recent problem, and has the write process worked before? If so are there any recent downloads you may of done that may be causing conflict. Another thought is look at system resources in control panel\system and where does it stand before write.
    Dave

6. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Bad to worse. Now, I can't get my computer to bootup. When I turn it on, I get a black screen with a small blinking bar in the upper left hand corner. That just stays there. Then, when I use the off/on on my computer, the computer won't just off. So, I shut it off by turning off the power source.

The reason I want to send My Documents to a floppy is that I bought another computer and want to transfer my data to it. I was able to send Favorites and My Pictures to a floppy, and also Addresses from My Documents, and then I tried to send the rest of My Documents and ran into the trouble I described.

I have now installed the new computer (actually a used one) so I could send in this post.

I want to ship the old computer to my sister but, of course, I want first to get it into working order.

Any thoughts? grandpaw

P.S. I am quite slow. If I get an hour's work done in a day, I congratulate myself. This condition is a wonderful way to practice patience.

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I'M REPLACING MY LAST POST WITH THIS ONE:

Bad to worse. These last few hours, I haven't even been able to say the word Thanksgiving (though I have plenty of reason to). For a while,I couldn't get my computer to bootup. When I turned it on, I would get a black screen with a small blinking bar in the upper left hand corner that just stayed there. When I tried to use the off/on button on my computer to turn it off, sometimes the computer would turn off but with the computer light staying on and with it then coming back up with the black screen. I finally shut it off by shutting off the power source.

Then, when I turned on the power source and the computer, it would not turn on at all, not even the black screen. After I set it aside for a hour or so, I tried again and it booted up normally. But when I tried once again to send My Documents to a floppy, I had the same problem as before: the computer froze up and I had to turn it off at the power source. But this time it did boot up again normally.

All this to say that my problem is still how can I save My Documents to a floppy? I have 92% resources when I boot up, and I have emptied everything except the dishwasher.

grandpaw

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hello Grandpaw... I am back from dinner & have read your post. Thats a shame you're having so much trouble but I don't know the answers now for you . Im going to ask for someone else to help you now.

Oh btw... I got dishes if you need some to add to the dishwasher if you like...lol

This is beyond my knowledge...so going for help

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Actually, Savvy, I don't have a dishwasher. But if you'll bring your dishes over with a bottle of wine, I'll be happy to wash them by hand. After we finish the wine. grandpaw

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Grandpaw: Through all this, are you still trying to copy to the same diskette? Have you tried using a different diskette? Are you trying to copy too much onto that 1.4MB space on the floppy? Are you trying to copy ONE file that exceeds that amount?

Although you should receive errors/messages of these problems, perhaps they are the problem(s) none the less.

Try copying just one file to your A: drive (right-click and use Send to Floppy A).

Have you cleaned up your hard drive lately?:

http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Some of the symptoms sound like you may be having a failing power supply, or perhaps some component on the motherboard. Is it an EMachine by any chance?

Does it help any to try to boot and accomplish a save in safe mode? (Press the ctrl key while starting to get to the boot menu).

You won't be able to save very much on floppies due to size limitations. But text and and other document files are a good choice.

12. slipe

slipe

There should be a fan on the power supply. It is the box inside the computer where the power comes in from your wall plug. Make sure the fan in it is working.

If you know what the CPU looks like it should have a fan as well. Make sure it is running also.

13. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you, SavvyLady, Davey7549, Dreamboat, Rollin Rog and slipe for your input. I was finally able to get My Documents from C to A by copy and paste. Of course, I still wish I knew for future purposes what went wrong with using Send To Floppy. Yesterday, I used Send To Floppy to transfer a lot photos to several floppies and also my Favorites without any trouble, and the computer told me when I needed to insert a new floppy because the old one was full. But since I've spent the good part of turkey day fooling around with this, I'm going to sit back and relax. grandpaw

P.S. Dreamboat, why do you keep looking at me with those come hither eyes?

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Well, grandpaw, I'm sure you can tell that my Avatar picture is very old.

Here's what my "come hither" look is like now:

Attached Files:

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Glad you got it all worked out Grandpaw

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice