1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing and stuttering with normal use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomwebb64, Jan 13, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have been having problems with my desktop for the past 4-5 months, have tried so much and looked on almost
    every thread relating to lag and stuttering without finding a solution.

I have had the PC for nearly 3 years, built myself.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7 7700k ( swaped to a celeron G3930)
    GPU: Geoforce 1070 (taken out for testing)
    Motherboard: MSI z270 pro carbon (swaped to an ASUS prime z270-P for testing)
    Power supply: EVGA Supernova 850 W Gold G2
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz (tried individually)
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (boot drive) and a Seagate BarraCuda

The problem occurs every 5-10 minutes with normal use, but every 20-30 seconds while playing games. This becomes more often for both the longer the computer is turned on for.

Things I have tried software wise:
    -Clean install of windows 10
    -Update/reinstall drivers for every component
    -Change resolution and refresh rate of the monitor
    -Disable prefetch and superfetch

There are no errors in event manager leading me to assume this problem is due to hardware. I have tried unplugging my GPU
    and using my CPU's onboard graphics, the problem still occurs.

Screen recording of what the freezing looks like:

View: https://youtu.be/Q28k25lj8QQ

This problem 100% is not related to:
    CPU
    GPU
    Motherboard
    Loose cables
    RAM

I have checked the PSU readings in the BIOS, there are no anomalous readings, everything looks very stable.
    I have tested both my Storage devices and they show no errors and read/write speeds are the same as when I bought them.

If there is any additional information you need or tests you would like me to run, please let me know.

I really want to get this fixed as it makes 3D designing almost unbearable, which I do for my University course.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You post that the problem is 100% not ram however I do not see where you tested the ram and what you used to test? Unless you use something like memtest and or prime95 [ram test] for a minimum of 1hr, then you really do not know if the problem is ram or not.
    While this has some validity, it does not test under a load [which is where a pw supply would most likely have problems]
    If you want to test a pw supply, you use the motherboard mfg's monitoring software while running prime95, OCCT, or IBT [intel burn test] If by chance your board mfg does not have monitoring software [which I know asus has] then you can use the intel extreme tuning utility. The intel utility will both monitor and do a stress test.

SarahSims likes this.
  3. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

Hi, crjdriver thanks for your reply.

I have run both memtest86+ overnight (around 10 hours) and prime95 to see if there were any errors right from the start (5 months ago), I have now swapped out almost every component in my system and have returned to test the ram and wondered if one stick was causing the issue despite not having any errors, but I managed to reproduce the issue on each stick placed individually.
    I am hesitant to consider my RAM being the issue but will explore it more if I cannot find other solutions.

I have just run some tests using the OCCT software checking the voltage readouts of the GPU, CPU as well as 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails. There is minimal voltage change (0.01V) in almost all, other than the GPU which varies from 0.65V and 0.85V and the largest voltage change is the V-core which had a minimum of 0.6V and max of 1.25V could you please advise me on if these PD changes are a sign of failiers, or if they are normal.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

4. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I have included some recordings of the stuttering in hopes it may help you understand where the issue is stemming from:

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

Could still be the power supply just try another one.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  6. lynx1021

lynx1021

I keep a test PSU around to troubleshoot with because it is cheaper than a PSU load tester. It is possible the PSU is glitching so fast you would have to have a oscilloscope to see it. Hmm, I used to have an oscilloscope but it must be still packed up from when we moved here in 2003, I still got my tube testers and reel to reel player/recorder. LOL I used to work on electronics until they came out with all the surface mount stuff.

7. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I have just ordered a new PSU to test whether it is the issue, if it is nice! If not I'll just return it. I will update the thread again to say whether the issue is fixed.

8. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I have just tested my system with a new PSU. The issue remains :/ I'm really stumped as to what it is.
    So, the issue is not to do with my:
    CPU
    GPU
    Motherboard
    Power supply

Although I have tested it, it could still be my RAM I guess, so I will order new ones to test with.

Any other suggestions in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have tested the ram for that long a period without errors, then it is probably fine.
    Just as a test, boot the system with a linux live usb. See if you still have the same problem. If not, then the hardware is most likely ok and it is a driver/software conflict, etc. If you have the same problem, then you know you have a hardware issue.

10. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I have tried the RAM again anyway, yep there's no problem there.
    I have tried using a Linux live USB but can seem to get it to boot. I am thinking this issue may be to do with my M.2 SSD, have you ever heard of symptoms like these on a dying SSD?
    I will be trying a new SSD this week, I will first try windows to see if that is the issue, if it continues without any of my old storage drives, I will try installing Linux and do some testing there.
    So strange how I can't find anyone with the same issue as me on any forums, it's a very specific type of stuttering and doesn't ever cause any system errors/crashes.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

I had a old Linux live boot USB and I had to turn of secure boot on my laptop to get it to boot, and select it in the boot order.

12. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I just tried a new SSD with a fresh install of windows, I only reinstalled chrome and didn't touch any drivers (GPU or otherwise). The problem is still occurring, I will try linux now but I don't think the software is the issue as it is persistent with a fresh install.
    Any other recommendations on what might be the issue, I have all but replaced my computer at this point XD

13. zebanovich

zebanovich

By looking at your video, I think you should just enable VSYNC to prevent GPU from rendering excessive frames.

The setting is here btw:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM
  14. tomwebb64

tomwebb64 Thread Starter

I have already changed every setting to do with my GPU, this issue also happens when using integrated graphics. I have just done that to double-check and the problem still occurs.

15. zebanovich

zebanovich

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice